Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

no wiring for the central vacuum

The central vacuum was partially installed without the wiring and then closed over with sheetrock. Is there any way to make it work without having to fishh the wire down through the walls to the outlet?

mgamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

short of manually going out and turning on the remote unit when you want to vacuum, none I can think of.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,158

What is missing? Line voltage low voltage or both? Some systems have line voltage at the vacuum outlet some do not.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,256

If you do not wish to fish the low voltage wiring to each location you might consider an X-10 home automation system.

You would need 3 components:

A 3 wire appliance module to plug the vac into.
http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-15A-GROUNDED...item5d2983c6ad

A transceiver to accept wireless signals from a hand held remote.
http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-TWO-WAY-TRAN...item255dc77168

A hand held remote.
http://cgi.ebay.com/X-10-SLIM-FIRE-P...item5d24f637b8

These items total about $22 including shipping. Plug the vac into the appliance module. Turn the vac's switch on and let the appliance module control the power. Plug the transceiver into a centrally located electrical receptacle. Carry the remote to turn the vac on and off.

I am not associated with the supplier I suggest but have used in the past and they are very good.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,036

An appliance cord with a plug on it (also an extension cord) may not be fished in a wall.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

For any central vacuum with a low voltage failure, simply use this remote clicker to turn on the vacuum.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 01-03-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: removed
centralvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralvacman View Post
For any central vacuum with a low voltage failure, simply use this remote clicker to turn on the vacuum.
$213 plus shipping Sounds like the poster has a vested interest- I go with my $22 X-10 solution.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 01-03-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: ad
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
$213 plus shipping Sounds like the poster has a vested interest- I go with my $22 X-10 solution.
He may, but it is still a viable option.

Remember, your solution is switching the line voltage power source while his is switching the low voltage circuit which is the way the vacuum is supposed to be operated. Can you guarantee that your method will not harm the vacuum? Some people are willing to pay in order to do something correctly instead of with makeshift items pieced together.

BTW, the module you suggested won't be able to handle most central vacuums.
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamike View Post
The central vacuum was partially installed without the wiring and then closed over with sheetrock. Is there any way to make it work without having to fishh the wire down through the walls to the outlet?
Without knowing the type of system you have it is hard to give an accurate answer.

It would be nice if you came back to check your replies. From your status I see you left the minute you posted this (four days ago) and have not been back since.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
He may, but it is still a viable option.

Remember, your solution is switching the line voltage power source while his is switching the low voltage circuit which is the way the vacuum is supposed to be operated. Can you guarantee that your method will not harm the vacuum? Some people are willing to pay in order to do something correctly instead of with makeshift items pieced together.

BTW, the module you suggested won't be able to handle most central vacuums.
The appliance module can handle 15 amps. If you want to control it on the low voltage side, use an X-10 Universal Module which can supply a contact closure rated at 5 amps @24VDC

http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-UNIVERSAL-MO...item255e68a7fb
Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
The appliance module can handle 15 amps.
Ampacity isn't everything, check the HP rating

As for the rest of your post, I already answered that. ("Some people are willing to pay in order to do something correctly instead of with makeshift items pieced together.")
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Some people are willing to pay in order to do something correctly instead of with makeshift items pieced together.
well, if that were the case, he wouldn't be here looking for solutions. He has a solution and that is to install the proper wiring but that would require that "pay in order to do something correctly" thing you were talking about. OP doesn't seem to be interested in that.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
well, if that were the case, he wouldn't be here looking for solutions. He has a solution and that is to install the proper wiring but that would require that "pay in order to do something correctly" thing you were talking about. OP doesn't seem to be interested in that.
Running the proper wiring might easily cost more than $213.

But my reply wasn't really to the OP, it was about the justifiable high cost of a piece of warrantied production equipment vs. some X-10 stuff pieced together from eBay and other online sources.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Running the proper wiring might easily cost more than $213.

But my reply wasn't really to the OP, it was about the justifiable high cost of a piece of warrantied production equipment vs. some X-10 stuff pieced together from eBay and other online sources.
what difference does it make if it is more or less than $213. Your statement was:

Quote:
Some people are willing to pay in order to do something correctly instead of with makeshift items pieced together
You put no limitation on the actual cost. Doing it correctly would be putting the wire in the wall like it's supposed to have. To me, anything less than that is cobbling it together.

and using an x-10 unit (if properly sized and I have no idea what they offer) would be nothing different than the "warrantied production equipment". the x-10 devices are intended to be used to control power to appliances. That would make it also "warranted production equipment".
Old 01-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
what difference does it make if it is more or less than $213.
The difference is that you said the OP wasn't willing to do it correctly and buy the $213 devide because he wasn't willing to pay to have it wired. I refuted that by saying it might cost a lot more than $213 to rewire it, he could do it correctly with the linked to device for $213.

This just happened minutes ago, pay more attention to what you post...

Quote:
and using an x-10 unit (if properly sized and I have no idea what they offer) would be nothing different than the "warrantied production equipment".
Sure it would be much different.

Quote:
the x-10 devices are intended to be used to control power to appliances. That would make it also "warranted production equipment".
Not when the recommended equipment both switched the power supply which could be harmful to the vacuum and isn't sized correctly to even be used with a central vacuum.

You can argue all you want. Have fun!