Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
MrO

Rewards Points: 10

No Voltage at circuit breaker terminals

My kitchen circuit breaker tripped again (California). Resetting the suspect circuit breaker used to fix this... (it happens every few months) Now things are dark again in the kitchen and most of the back of the house. Resetting the usual suspect circuit breaker does not help. I reset all of them for good measure. (still dark).

The strange is when checking voltages with meter voltmeter, from the bottom-up, every other breaker terminal does not read 120V, they are OV. All of the breakers are set properly, so why are half of them dead at their output terminal (where the wire connects) I'm thinking possibly a buss bar problem? If so, how to troubleshoot that?

Thx!!

Mark

MrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

IF you are comfortable with testing on a HOT breaker/panel box ..........

Check the main lugs where the power comes in to the panel box, as you say it appears that power has dropped from one of the bus bars. It should read 220 volts across the two lugs or 110 from each lug to neutral or ground. Check to see if you have a fused main disconnect that control the breaker box, it may have blown one fuse....

If no fuses are ahead of the panel box, then it is possible your POCO transformer lost one leg on their secondary side to your service, or a bus connection on your panel box is bad. I have also seen meter bases burn off one lug on the load side in the socket base from non-treated aluminum wire connections or improper torque on the lug. Good luck.

Last edited by Jeeps; 04-29-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeps For This Useful Post:
plummen (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

[quote=MrO;910285 I'm thinking possibly a buss bar problem? If so, how to troubleshoot that?

Thx!!

Mark[/quote]

This is not a do it yourself project for anyone with no experience. Find someone qualified to work on a live panel before you hurt yourself.
gregzoll (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
MrO

Hi Guys,

Jeeps
Awsome response time to my question. I strongly suspected the buss bar due to the described symptoms, but just lacked the proper troubleshooting method. I'll proceed with great caution and call in the pro's if I start doubting myself (I'd like to enjoy retirement) I get just as much enjoyment from a proper diagnosis as I do the repair. Let's face it, we can't fix 'em all. I'll also post when the problem is resolved... Gimme a week or so.... Right now the problem isn't too much of a nuisance...

Missouri Bound

I appreciate your concern, I do... But... I am a bit annoyed with your response and assumption about my experience. Yes, electricity is dangerous, lethal even, but lets face it, it's not rocket science. Had you of bothered to ask, I would have shared with you that I am a electronics engineer by profession, with considerable HV test experience. House wiring is just not something that I've had to give to much thought to. It's there when you by the house, and for the most part it's just taken for granted. Problems like this make we want to understand it better. That's why I joiined this forum... Seems like alot of great guidance here. It sounds like you've been doing this for a while and have seen you share of yo-yo's that should never pick up a voltmeter.. I've seen my share to...

Check up on my future posts on this.. Sound like you might have some helpful time-saving pointers (unless your time saving pointer is to pay a tradesmen to do it)
-

Last edited by MrO; 04-29-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add text
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Have you reset the main breaker?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Pure Genius

It wont be nuisance until you attempt to use your oven, dryer, or ac assuming they are all electric appliances
Dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dierte For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Its not a buss bar problem. Either one leg of the main has tripped. Try resetting the main breaker (as suggested above). If there is a fused disco before the "main" breaker, one of them could have blown. You would have to meter the line side of the fuses to see if they have voltage. Or its a POCO problem.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
plummen (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Easiest thing to do, is meter before the main breaker. If you have one leg hot, and one leg dead, 99% sure its a POCO problem and you would need to contact them.

For any other problem, call a professional.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #9

Did you only pay 1/2 your electric bill? Maybe they turned off 1/2 your electric. ;-) You should call your utility co and have them start looking into everything I their end. We had the same thing happen and it ended up being the transformer.
Good luck!
robs660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

I think the OP left, when Mo bound gave them a reality check.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I think the OP left, when Mo bound gave them a reality check.
I didn't mean to offend anyone....honest!
Maybe if I can save someone's once in a while it is worth it.
gregzoll (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

I am sorry, but if they think that asking on the fantasy world called the Internet is going to just make things all fine and cherry, they are in for a rude awaking. I am getting to the point, that I am not going to sugar coat anything, and just lay it out on the table. I am already in trouble on one forum, for speaking my mind, and telling it like it is, and people are not liking it, because they want the same answer as everyone else is giving on there. No wonder why the Internet is the protect the children, because they can not take the truth, out on the majority of the forums.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
MrO

Hi Guys,

All is well, after reinspecting the circuit breaker problem again, I came to the conclusion that the problem had to be upstream from the breaker box as some of y'all suggested. So.... I called the POCO and they had two crews out within 4 hours to fix the problem. It was indeed the POCO transformer that lost one leg on their secondary side to my service. We have a well lit house again. Thx to all of you that shared your conventional wisdom with me on what the problem probably was. I truly value the expertise that is made available on these forums. Most of you are a great asset to the forum community... Thanx again for all your help!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #14

Thank you for letting us know how it turned out and glad it was a easy fix for you ( someone else did it)

Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote