Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No Signal From Tv Cable

I HAVE A TWELVE YEAR OLD HOUSE. IT WAS ORIGINALLY WIRED WITH TWO COAX. CABLES TO EACH TV SITE, FOR A SATELLITE RECEIVER AND WHOLE-HOUSE ANTENNA. ALL WIRING IS INSIDE INTERNAL WALLS. FOR SEVERAL YEARS THE CABLES HAVE BEEN USED FOR REGULAR TIVOS AND A STANDARD SAT. RECEIVER.
SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, I HOOKED UP THE ANTENNA AGAIN FOR A FEW DAYS. SINCE I RESET ALL THE CABLES TO THE SATELLITE SYSTEM, I HAVE HAD NO SIGNAL IN ONE OF THE CABLES IN OUR BEDROOM. EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS AND CHECKS OUT OKAY. THE SAT. DISH IS CONNECTED TO A 2/ 16 MULTISWITCH IN A UTILITY ROOM. THE CABLE TO THE MULTISWITCH IS ABOUT 80 FEET LONG. I HAVE USED A LENGTH OF CABLE WITH THE COPPER CENTRAL WIRE SHORTED TO THE SURROUNDING WIRE AND A MULTIMETER/ OHMETER TO CONFIRM THAT THE CABLE IS STILL INTACT. I HAVE REPLACED THE CABLE ENDS. I HAVE CHECKED THE SHORT CABLES (FROM TIVO TO THE WALL OUTLET), AND THE CONNECTORS. I HAVE EVEN USED ANOTHER TIVO. BOTH SAT. INPUTS ON THE TIVO WORK WITH ONE ATTACHED TO A SAT. OUTLET IN AN ADJACENT ROOM (LONG CABLE EXTENSION).
I HAVE CHECKED THIS CABLE MULTIPLE TIMES AND AM CONVINCED IT IS INTACT, YET WHEN IT IS CONNECTED TO THIS CABLE TO THE SAT. THRU THE MULTISWITCH, THERE CONTINUES TO BE NO SIGNAL!

ANY IDEAS? I HAVE CHECKED THIS SO MANY TIMES, I'M BEGINNING TO THINK THERE IS A GHOST IN THE WALLS WITH AN ON/ OFF SWITCH.

THANKS, IN ADVANCE, FOR YOUR HELP.

LJMSURG

Last edited by LJMSURG; 08-30-2008 at 05:36 AM.
LJMSURG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,016

No Signal From Tv Cable

I've no clue but the all caps and bold are a bit annoying to read IMO.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Electrician's Helper

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

No Signal From Tv Cable

STOP SHOUTING! In forums like this all caps is taken as shouting. The bold doesn't help at all just makes it seem like you are shouting louder.
Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

No Signal From Tv Cable

LJMSURG,

The font & bold does make it hard to follow all of your efforts.

sounds like an intermittent connection problem, bad splitter, or that splice in the wall that you don't know about (see if you can shake the cable).
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #5

No Signal From Tv Cable

Thanks for replying. Never heard about shouting, but will use standard typing in the future. Usually type one-handed while lying down, and locking caps simply easier.

This problem has not been intermittent. It's been this way ever since I hooked up the sat. again. There is only about 4 in of cable in the box and I am fairly sure the wire is one piece to the multiswitch(we freq. watched as the house was built--may even have some pictures to look at, if I can find them.) Like I said before, extremely frustrating and confusing. I've laid lots of electrical wiring/ coax. cables (not an electrician), but I have never had anything like this before.

Probably will end up needing to call someone who does this full time. Can lay a new line, if needed, but without going outside, this will mean doing some gymnastics in the attic and the basement. And since there is always evidence of continuity (with the ohmeter), I'm not anxious to spend money when I feel the darn thing should be working.

Thanks again.

Last edited by LJMSURG; 08-30-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 252

No Signal From Tv Cable

Make sure you test that the inner and outer conductor is not shorted together on the suspected cable.

I was helping an in-law troubleshoot a similar problem - and we finally figured out that the reason the Satellite box ( in a far away bedroom) was not working because it was not plugged into a grounded outlet. Two years later we found a bad connection at the satellite. So I'm not sure which was the "real problem".

If you don't have test equipment to measure signal strength, I would inspect/replace all connections upstream of the problem before calling a pro. Invest/borrow a good quality crimp tool. The connectors are almost always the problem. Don't assume that because you have a signal at the splitter it is strong enough to supply the 80 feet of cable plus the loss at the splitter. Try by-passing the splitter as a test.

This link is pretty good:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech

Last edited by tribe_fan; 08-30-2008 at 01:55 PM.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

No Signal From Tv Cable

Call the Satellite guy and tell them that you where screwing around with their work, and BTW, posting without the Bold & larger font does wonders.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,016

No Signal From Tv Cable

Try this site for a bit more specific help:
http://www.highdefforum.com/
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #9

No Signal From Tv Cable

Tribe Fan--Thanks for the input. I rechecked the cable and there is no obvious short between the conductors or at the connectors. I did replace the proximal end connector (again) using a new crimp device. The multiswitch is a 2 by 16. I have previously checked each of the output ports by attaching cables to the other TVs. Each of the 16 outputs appear to have adequate and good quality signal (using some even longer cables---about 100-120 feet long). I have not bypassed the multiswitch yet and that is a good idea.

After that I intend to try and follow the full length of the cable. If there are no obvious unknown splitters or damage to the cable, my next choice is either call in the technicians or replace the cable (if I think it can be done relatively easily).

Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 252

No Signal From Tv Cable

Your welcome - wish it was fixed !

You didn't say if you used the ohmmeter to check for shorts.

Disconnect both ends - and ohm out the inner conductor to the outer. It should be open.
Have someone touch the inner and outer at one end with a paper clip - then check the other end again. It should be close to zero.

You could also run a temporary cable to the room before snaking a cable through the attic.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #11

No Signal From Tv Cable

Tribe Fan

Thanks once again for the help.

I checked the cable with both ends open (using the ommeter)---checked from both ends as well. I used a short piece of cable with one end twisted together (creating the short) and connected to the opposite end when using the ohmmeter.

It will be several days before I get to check the cable further, but placing a temporary new cable before going thru the attic is also a good idea.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:53 AM   #12

No Signal From Tv Cable

There is a splitter in the attic. I have not had the chance to check if it is in line for the problem cable.
Thanks again to those who have given input.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #13

No Signal From Tv Cable

just a thought, when we had satalite installed at old house, tech said can't use splitters with sat. connection. If you meant cable, we had problem in one of the upstairs bedroom, we added a booster, that helped some what. Our dish is set up with cables coming down from roof to thier splitter, then each cable off it is a direct connect to a tv in the house.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

No Signal From Tv Cable

When checking for shorts in the cable, be sure it is disconnected from the source and the load. Most RF devices will look like a dead short to an ohmmeter at their inputs/outputs.

As a matter of fact, if you were to look at my old Ringo Ranger 2m ham antenna, you would wonder how it could work. There is a piece of tubing connecting directly from the feed to the ground. You have to understand tuned RF circuits to know why it works.

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #15

No Signal From Tv Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJMSURG View Post
There is a splitter in the attic. I have not had the chance to check if it is in line for the problem cable.
Thanks again to those who have given input.
The satellite box will send differing voltages or "messages" to the multi-switch to tell it what to do. If there is a splitter between the satellite box and the multi-switch, this will block the signal to the multi-switch.

Should run each wire from each room directly to the multi-switch. (Not one wire from multi-switch to attic, then splitter, then one wire to one room and another wire to another room.)

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote