Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

No Pull lube

HI;

I just did a push / pull of 3 12awg thhn from my basement to upstairs in 1/2"emt. It was somewhat difficult due to the turns, it has approiate j-boxes.

I have a sub panel I need to feed that takes the same route, and has the same turns. Planing to run 4 - #6 wires in 3/4" EMT. My thought was that pull lube would be very helpful in doing this pull.

The spool of #6 I was going to get at home depot says right on it Do not use pull lube. But didn't say anything else about it.

I thought it was safe in general to use the pull lubes with THHN/THXN.

Any idea why it says not to use lube with this wire? Do you think I should try the pull without lube or look for other wire?

Thanks
Jamie
p.s. Now that I am using a hack saw (vs pipe cutter than left the raised area), it is much easier to push past the connectors in the conduit. Thanks.

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

No Pull lube

I could only guess that it is because the wire manufacturers don't trust that the pull lube isn't degrading to the wire insulation. Check the lube label to make sure it says it is safe for all wire types, then use it.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
DIY'er

No Pull lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
I could only guess that it is because the wire manufacturers don't trust that the pull lube isn't degrading to the wire insulation. Check the lube label to make sure it says it is safe for all wire types, then use it.
Thanks for your answers to both questions. :-)
Jamie
Old 12-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
DIY'er

No Pull lube

I looked at that wire again and what the tag says. It is worded poorly. It says something to the effect in big letters "DO NOT USE LUBE" in smaller print below "Unless you like wasting money".

The wire is actually the new SIMpull stuff from southwire.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7074/

Jamie
Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

No Pull lube

They are just touting the ease of installation of their product (wire). I have never had to use any lube in a residential job. If you can't push the wires through, just get out the fishtape.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
DIY'er

No Pull lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
They are just touting the ease of installation of their product (wire). I have never had to use any lube in a residential job. If you can't push the wires through, just get out the fishtape.
I have have gotten a little better with getting wire through. Cuts with the hack saw instead of the pipe cutter help alot.

I also find that I can only push a wire in a pipe that has at most about 180 degrees of bends or so. I tried to push one in a conduit that had close to 360 degrees of bends, and I just could not make it. I find when I feed the fiber tape in, and use that to pull the wires through, it is really easy pulling most of the time.

I had to use some lube when I sleeved a piece of romex in smurf. It was the old 1960's romex with a thick jacket, and it was tight, but with the lube, it pulled right through.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 12-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

No Pull lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
I looked at that wire again and what the tag says. It is worded poorly. It says something to the effect in big letters "DO NOT USE LUBE" in smaller print below "Unless you like wasting money".

The wire is actually the new SIMpull stuff from southwire.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7074/

Jamie
we have been using thousands of feet of that on the job I am on. I am not on the wire pulling crew so I cannot personally attest to how it pulls but a couple of the guys pulling it claimed it is great stuff. I would doubt you would need lube on that pull as long as the pipe is sized correctly and you are within the max allowed bends.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #8

No Pull lube

Jamie, I am glad to hear you are trying the push method. This method is not designed for every run, just the easy close ones. You can actually push a single conductor into a conduit with existing conductors present. You don't always have to pull one wire out to get one in.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote