Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

No power to wall receptacle

Last night my tv and lamp was working great, this morning no power to it at all. I checked the breakers and they seemed fine. I changed the wall receptacle thinking that it might be just old, and still no power. I'm wondering if ther breaker itself need to be replaced? I have very little experience with electrical work so any help would be appreciated. Right now I just have an extension cord running from the other side of the room to the power bar and my wife is having a fit...But hey..I can't go without my tv.

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #2

Since it is in your living room I doubt a GFCI would come into play. But you never know. Reset all GFCI receptacles in the house. If that does not fix it, you need to check for power at the breaker and adjacent receptacles. I also doubt the breaker only feeds the TV. So you should make sure the breaker is okay at the panel (check for 120 volts), then start at the recepatacle you replaced and work your way along the same circuit the TV is on to make sure you do not have a disconnected wire or loose wire in the receptacle boxes.
Turn off the breaker and see what goes off. This will give you an idea how the circuit is run. You have some work to do, if it's not the breaker.

Ps.....All my entertainment center stuff is all on one breaker. Yours may be too. But unlikely.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #3

First, make sure the recep is not controlled by a wall switch.
It happens

The typical circuit runs from one recep to the next recep (or switch) throughout several rooms in the house.

Use a lamp to test other receps in the same and adjoining rooms. It is likely that more are not working.

If you find other receps not working, use some logic to figure out the path from the panel and look at the first non working recep or the last working one.

If your TV recep is the ONLY one affected, look at the nearest recep (it MAY be in the adjoining room).
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Electrician

Sometimes a breaker is tripped and does not look tripped. I would suggest going to your panel and turning the breakers off and then back on and see if that fixes your problem. If that does not fix it, then I would move on to 220/221's suggestion. If your receptacles were "back-stabbed" when first installed, it is a very common problem that a wire would come loose and break contact in a receptacle upstream from the one (or ones) not working.
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote