Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No Power to Two Rooms

Last night I smelled a strong burning smell in my room. I tried to figure out where it was coming from but couldn't. I had a window unit, lamp, and a power strip with appliances plugged in that room. While trying to figure out where the smell was coming from I heard a pop and the power went out in my room as well as my child's room right next to mine. I went to reset the breaker but it would not reset so I figured it was no longer any good. Went to Lowes today and bought a new breaker as well as two new outlets to replace the ones that were in use (just in case they burned out). Changed those out and the breaker is staying on but there is still no power to either rooms. I have been laid off and can't afford to have an electrician come to see what's wrong and need help. I am pretty good with my hands, for a female, and any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

God Bless

samano02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

No Power to Two Rooms

Not sure if when you say window unit, do you mean a window mounted A/C unit.

What does it say on the breaker that tripped, is it just a 15 amp. breaker?
If so you may well have over loaded the circut and burned a wire.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

No Power to Two Rooms

Yes it is an a/c window unit. The amp was a 15A and we have not had a this problem until last night. The breaker box and breakers are all brand new, just had it replaced about three months ago. Is it a possibility that it just all of a sudden overloaded after so many years and burned out? And if so what can be done about it?
samano02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

No Power to Two Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by samano02 View Post
Last night I smelled a strong burning smell in my room. I tried to figure out where it was coming from but couldn't. I had a window unit, lamp, and a power strip with appliances plugged in that room. While trying to figure out where the smell was coming from I heard a pop and the power went out in my room as well as my child's room right next to mine. I went to reset the breaker but it would not reset so I figured it was no longer any good. Went to Lowes today and bought a new breaker as well as two new outlets to replace the ones that were in use (just in case they burned out). Changed those out and the breaker is staying on but there is still no power to either rooms. I have been laid off and can't afford to have an electrician come to see what's wrong and need help. I am pretty good with my hands, for a female, and any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

God Bless

I wrote a underline part and with the window shaker ( window air cond unit ) with power strip is useally not a best combation at all and what else you have them on the power strip ?

I know you say lamp but what else.

I know you mention new breaker box but the key issue is you may have a connection somewhere along the circuit that can get loosen up so you will have find the bad receptale if it was backstabbed that is about the most common service call I have ran into and if you actually have the backstabbed receptales then it will be a good time to move them over to the screw.

Just remember double check the circuit is off before you work on.

And black conductors ( wires ) will go to brass coloured screws while white conductors will go to silver colour screws and bare or green conductors will go to the green screw.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 516

No Power to Two Rooms

When you heard the "pop" were you able to tell the vicinity of where it came from. My suspicion is that a recepticle in the room other that the one you were using may have had the issue. As Marc indicated, make sure the power is off (tester) to the circuit you are working on and remove the recepticles and check them. I suspect you will find a burned/melted wire /conection on one of them. As Marc indicated these recepticles may have had the wires back stabbed (wires inserted into holes in the backs of the recepticles). It is advisable to pull these out and put the wires under the screws on the sides of the recepticles. When you find the bad recepticle, replace it. It is not worth taking the chance for a $2.00 item.

Also, you indicated that there were "appliances" on the power strip. what else was on this circuit? You should have the AC unit on its own circuit if posible.
Dan
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,472

No Power to Two Rooms

The heavy loads may have caused a connection to fail. Turn the power off and look at the first non-working or last working device. Move the connections to the side screws from the backstabs.