Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

No Power to Light Switch!

Just purchased a new place and there are no light fixtures in any of the bedrooms, there are however light switches in each of the 3 bedrooms. Removing the switch plate in the master bedroom and testing the switch with a Voltmeter there is 0 power going to the switch itself, however there appears to be 2 bundles of Positive & 2 bundles of Negative wires running to through this outlet, which I assume are going to the outlets in the room, which all have power when this mystical Light Switch is in the On or Off position.

All of the breakers in the panel are On.

What we would like to do is install a light fixture in the ceiling and power it off of this switch, but the fact we already have a mass of wiring there makes this somewhat more confusing to me. Either way - we'll now be hiring a professional electrician to come help.

rinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #2

How would one troubleshoot this? Remove those caps in there and see if there is any power running to those?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

How did you determine there is no power? It must be a loose connection somewhere. Pull the wire bundles out and check that all the wires are tight in the connections
Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Volt Meter - works just fine on all the outlets, all reading 120v.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

It's the same in every bedroom too tho, not just the 1 room. No Light Fixtures and no power to each light switch, yet power to every outlet.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #6

I just had a thought, both wires would be positive if this actually had power running to it right? So me testing both terminals on the switch with the volt meter was a bad way to test for power?

Although these wires are quite obviously Black & White, which leads me to believe this is a bad wiring job and I'm a complete electrical novice!

Last edited by rinky; 01-26-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

In these rooms with switches on the wall...
is there a round blank plate with two screws in the center of the ceiling?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Your Facilities Guy!

first because there is no ceiling boxes it is probable the switches are controlling one lighting circuit. This typically is one or more outlets in the room. Also most often they will only wire one outlet of the duplex outlet for lighting off the switch and put the other outlet to your power circuit. Duplex outlets can be separated and wired this way by removing the jumper manufactured into it. So you need to test both outlets.
You should assume the switch could be breaking either the hot or the nuetral side of the switch testing with your meter should verify which. I would invest in a passive voltage tester that senses voltage. They are really handy in keeping you safe and finding hot verse neutral or dead wires.
First find a breaker or breakers that kills the power to all the wiring. Note what it feeds and start there. Then pull the bundles out and start testing as necessary until you feel comfortable you know what is what. Go slow and deliberately and you should no ok. But if you don't feel comfortable call a sparky it's not worth the risk if you don't know what your looking for.
Donnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnig View Post
first because there is no ceiling boxes it is probable the switches are controlling one lighting circuit. This typically is one or more outlets in the room. Also most often they will only wire one outlet of the duplex outlet for lighting off the switch and put the other outlet to your power circuit. Duplex outlets can be separated and wired this way by removing the jumper manufactured into it. So you need to test both outlets.
You should assume the switch could be breaking either the hot or the nuetral side of the switch testing with your meter should verify which. I would invest in a passive voltage tester that senses voltage. They are really handy in keeping you safe and finding hot verse neutral or dead wires.
First find a breaker or breakers that kills the power to all the wiring. Note what it feeds and start there. Then pull the bundles out and start testing as necessary until you feel comfortable you know what is what. Go slow and deliberately and you should no ok. But if you don't feel comfortable call a sparky it's not worth the risk if you don't know what your looking for.
All outlets are on all of the time, both outlets on every duplex. So I wonder if maybe it's wired separately, but the breakaway tab is intact, so both outlets are receiving power at all times. I'll pull the covers off of the electrical outlets and see if any of them has separate wiring to each plug. Then if that's the case shut down the breaker and snap the tab to see if one of them then becomes controlled by the switch.

If that fails then I'm not gonna screw around and just call in an electrician to wire a ceiling box for a light fixture.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4

The lights and receptacles sound like they might be on different circuits. Did you check all the breakers in the panel. Sometimes a breaker will look on and be tripped off.
Turn off and back on all the breakers.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
I just had a thought, both wires would be positive if this actually had power running to it right? So me testing both terminals on the switch with the volt meter was a bad way to test for power?

Although these wires are quite obviously Black & White, which leads me to believe this is a bad wiring job and I'm a complete electrical novice!
Yes testing both terminals of a switch is a bad way to test(for voltage) but the proper way you test for continuity.

For voltage test touch one terminal with one lead and touch a ground or a neutral with the other lead.

If no reading either flip the toggle(and leave the lead on the same switch terminal) or don't touch the toggle and move the lead on the switch terminal to the other terminal on the switch. In both instances leave the other lead on a ground or neutral.

Last edited by hammerlane; 01-26-2012 at 10:35 PM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post

Nope things are just fine however your house wiring appears to be ungrounded.

That switch controls a receptacle that is used for plugging in a table lamp.

You use the white wire to get power to the switch then the black wire goes back to the receptacle and is your switched hot wire.....
Attached Thumbnails
No Power to Light Switch!-switched-receptacle.jpg  

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky

Find a ground in the box put one side of the tester on it and the other side on the switch, like that you should get a reading.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The lights and receptacles sound like they might be on different circuits. Did you check all the breakers in the panel. Sometimes a breaker will look on and be tripped off.
Turn off and back on all the breakers.
Yupp - flipped em all off and on again. Tested every single outlet in the room, both recepticals and every one has 120v power with the switch On or Off, so this switch currently appears to do nothing.