No Power In House - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No power in house

We just purchased a previous rental house that had the electrical wires removed by bad tenants. Previous owner had wires replaced and a new breaker box installed outside. Looks like a professional job. We had the power company turn on power today, but nothing in the house has power. The main switch is in the on position, as are the switches for specific rooms. The AC, stove, furnace, and dryer are not on as those systems are not functioning now. Why don't the outlets and lights work? We don't see any sign that anything in the house works. Thanks.

Advertisement

kirp1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

No power in house

It sounds like one of two things

1) There is no power coming from the meter to the main breaker
2) The previous owners/tenants really f-d up the wiring

First thing I would do is turn the main breaker to the off position then turn it back on to make sure the breaker is really on. Then flip all the branch circuit breakers to the off positions and turn them back on.

If nothing changes, call an electrician.

Advertisement

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

No power in house

Your best thing is to call the power co, to come back and look at their side, and have an electrician look at the inside. Something is wrong, if there is no power and all of the breakers are on.

Of course, there is a chance that there may be a main breaker disconnect outside that needs to be turned on.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
kirp1968 (06-06-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

No power in house

That is a good point...one that I assumed the POCO would at least check if there was power to the main breaker. They have always done that around here, but that doesn't mean that everyone does the same thing everywhere.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

No power in house

Sometimes, to shut the power off, the electric company will install insulators on the stabs on the back of the meter, then reinstall the meter. That way they know if it's been tampered with because you have to break the seal to remove the insulators. Maybe the boys who turned your power back on missed this.

They should have tested the load side of the meter before they left.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,398

No power in house

Do you know how to use a tester ?
If so start at the main switch/breaker,
Is there power there ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

No power in house

Well, either their battery ran out, or another one post wonder. Me thinks that we should start giving newb's at least 24 to 36 hours to allow them to come back and bump their post, before answering.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #8

No power in house

50 year old house, still has two wire receptacles. Some have one plug burned out (the front plastic part is completely burned out, but the other plug works). Some outlets and lights work fine, others don't show power when I use a tester. Could it be that some connection in an outlet or outlets is bad? I plan on installing new receptacles and switches in the whole house, and making sure each wire is secured properly. Could this get all the lights and outlets working again? Thanks a lot.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

No power in house

go to the circuit breaker panel cover off and check all the breakers to ground in the ON position for 115Vs this will verify the panel is feeding the rooms...if the house and wiring is that old adding 3 prong sockets will be a waste is you don't have a ground wire within the boxes back to the panel
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

No power in house

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
go to the circuit breaker panel cover off and check all the breakers to ground in the ON position for 115Vs this will verify the panel is feeding the rooms...if the house and wiring is that old adding 3 prong sockets will be a waste is you don't have a ground wire within the boxes back to the panel
It is also a code violation.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

No power in house

If the wire was replaced then there should be grounded receptacles. It seems you were not told the whole story.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #12

No power in house

The wiring was replaced from the new breaker panel to somewhere around the old fuse box. When I pull out a receptacle it has old looking copper wire attached to screws on the sides. Half of the house lights and receptacles work. The nonworking ones are all on one side of the house. Does this clarify anything? When my wife was in a room with a light on, she said the light went out and the outlets nearby no longer worked. I tested the light, and it was not getting power. I'm thinking it is a situation of a several bad connections in at least two, maybe three circuits.???
Old 06-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #13

No power in house

Yesterday I started changing receptacles. 17 done so far. Now the light that went out when my wife was in the room is working again. But bathroom and other outlets and lights still aren't getting power. Is it possible that putting in new light switches would get some outlets working? Would changing out the lights possibly help as well? I didn't find any bad connections, but many of the copper wires had green corrosion from prolonged moisture. They appeared to be many years old, possibly original from 1962. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

No power in house

Hopefully you bought ungroounded receptacles for all your replacements. And just replacing them may not help you have to find out where the bad connections are. Possibly between the new panel and old fuse box.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

No power in house

You are in over your head on this one---do you have a tester and do you know how to use it?

By changing out switches and outlets without knowing why the circuits are not working,you are compounding the problems.

Get a tester--trace the circuits from the panel and find the problems before you start swapping parts--
You might overlook snapping off a tab on a switched outlet--and end up with a 220 volt dead short--

Advertisement

rjniles (06-10-2012)

Tags
electrical , no power