Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #1

Share |

No overhead lights in any room, no attic- want them

We are moving into a house that has no overhead lights installed in any room. The celings slant from 8-12 feet. There's no attic. Also, there's a lightswitch that controls an electrical outlet.

I don't want to use lamps and I'd like overhead lights. Is this a difficult thing to achieve? Also, is there an alternative-- wireless lighting? Again, there is NO electrical anything in the ceiling.

I need help!

Thanks,

mommyof5cuties

mommyto5cuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Where there is a will there is a way.......

This all depends on many factors. It would be very hard for us to say how difficult to run power to the switches and ceiling fixtures without seeing your situation. However the answer is... yes... it can be done.. if you want overhead lights in the rooms the difficulty should be looked at as a challenge.

As for wireless lighting yes there is such a thing but it would be better described as wireless switching. You always have to have power at the light fixture.

In a nutshell you usually find a place to get power... say a receptacle. Run cable to the switch and ceiling fixture or vice versa. If you have a crawl space it is likely you will be able to get by without any wall damage to get your wiring to the locations you want the switches. The ceiling locations may be more difficult. You most likely will have to cut into the wall or ceiling somewhere to get the wires run.

Worst case you may have to use a product called wiremold. This Product is run exposed on your wall and ceilings.

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-23-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
J Calvin Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Where there is a will there is a way.......
Actually, we always said...Where there is money, there is a way.

Not meaning that we ripped them off, but that it gets very expensive because of the time it take for the tedious work.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #4

This very well could be a big hassle for you. You have no access at all to the crawl space or should I say the non existent crawl space? You gave the pitch so I must assume it is not a flat roof, right? Have you really investigated this? If you have absolutely no space, I would seriously consider a professional. They are experience with all types of difficult projects like yours and may have an easy solution.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote