No Kitchen Lights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No Kitchen Lights

Hi folks, here i am on Christmas night and I was fiddleing with a light switch to see how a new dimmer for our ballast lights in the kitchen would work. I did not like it and and reinstalled the old switch. Everything fine except that it seemed with the 3 switches we have for the ballast lights some were turning on and others were not. Not like before. I tried switching 2 black wires on the switch and everything seemed ok-- Lights worked, but as I flicked on and off, I heard a pop somewhere-(I thought the switch across from me that also works these lights) and now they dont work. All the other kitchen lights that work on this circuit work fine. What could I have done? Wife will be mad in the morn. Thanks

Advertisement

misslemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

No Kitchen Lights

Check for a short circuit where two bare wires touched where they should not have, including if it was working when it popped and then stopped working.

Such a short circuit could damage a switch such as the one you thought gave off the pop.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

No Kitchen Lights

OK, I checked the wires on all 3 switches for these ballast lights. and dont see anything touching for now. Could all 3 switches not be working if one is blown? Thanks again for the reply
misslemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,398

No Kitchen Lights

Without knowing how the three switchs are wired,
It is difficult to say for sure.
If they are wired as a 2 way configeration with an intermediate switch,
then things are a lot more complicated then just a simple
switching arrangement.
As you have taken the wires of the old switch,
did you take note of where each wire came from ?
or did you just assume its a simple on / off set up?
Two way switchs are wired different.
So its possible that you have wired it wrong.
Get an electricain to sort it out.
You will have take it on the chin, when the real boss complains,
after all you did stuff it up didnt you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslemike View Post
Hi folks, here i am on Christmas night and I was fiddleing with a light switch to see how a new dimmer for our ballast lights in the kitchen would work. I did not like it and and reinstalled the old switch. Everything fine except that it seemed with the 3 switches we have for the ballast lights some were turning on and others were not. Not like before. I tried switching 2 black wires on the switch and everything seemed ok-- Lights worked, but as I flicked on and off, I heard a pop somewhere-(I thought the switch across from me that also works these lights) and now they dont work. All the other kitchen lights that work on this circuit work fine. What could I have done? Wife will be mad in the morn. Thanks
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote