Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #1

Share |

No junction box behind lighting fixtures

I went to change out the lighting fixtures in the bathrooms and to my surprise there was no junction box behind them. The wires from the fixture were just connected together with the ones from the wall and just hanging in the wall. The fixtures in there now are a 4 light straight rectangle plate that they just screwed into the wall. Ontop of that the oval hole they do have for a lighting junction box has a 2x4 right in the middle. The townhome is only 5 years old and this is the same on all three excisting fixtures. Is this against code and a possible fire hazard since the connecting wires are not in a box? How can I put in a box with the 2x4 in the middle and i cant put in a box so it is centered?

H.O.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

A round shallow box will take care of your problem.
It will mount to the stud, and is only 1/2" thick.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #3

I have the same problem but I have a vent stack right behind mine! The area is right in the middle of the 16" spaced studs. I never thought of a shallow box but I'm going to have to tear drywall out to mount it won't I? I'm almost positive this isn't to code! How can a newly built house pass inspection with this?
Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

New houses especially in housing plans Are built very cheaply. Cheap plumbing and electric and built as fast as possible cheapest fixtures. They don't care about perfection
jmans8666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmans8666 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #5

The fixture enclosure is all that is required for the connection. Do you need a JB for the new fixture?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 AM   #6

i found a post that you can install to add a box anywhere between studs without tearing out drywall, but i found out i have a lot of pipes behind the wall there, so i ended up cutting it out, mounting a 3/4" piece of plywood and a half inch deep box, then covering it back up, looks great!
Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #7

you can get retrofit boxes that essentially clamp to the drywall, inbetween the studs (on center). but i don't like these as the weight of the light fixture may pull it right off the drywall. even if you put a small light weight one on (which is ok) the next home owner won't know and may put a heavy chandelier.

what i would do ... is to open a rectangle in the wall between the studs and see if i can put a cross brace on there. then i would put one of those metaL cross brace and install a JB. cross brace should fit around the plumbing because its thin, though you might only get away with a 1/2" thick JB.

then dry wall, tape/mud, paint. or, this is a good time to install a nice medallion which also will hide the patch job.

Knucklez