Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Share |

No ground bus in panel

I am not an electrican so please forgive me if I incorrectly identify anything discribed in my question. I have a condo in a high rise building that was constructed in the early 80's. All of the wiring is two wire BX or AC flex cable with no ground wire. The circuit panel is supplied with two hots and a neutral, no main disconnect, and no ground bus. If I were to add a new circuit to the panel (using AC flex cable with two wires plus ground), how would I properly attach the ground wire to the circuit panel. Thanks in advance

1norfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Scared Electrician

No ground bus in panel

i'm going to say add a ground bar, put lets see what other recommendations appear

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday Cowboy For This Useful Post:
1norfleet (05-04-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #3

No ground bus in panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norfleet View Post
I am not an electrican so please forgive me if I incorrectly identify anything discribed in my question. I have a condo in a high rise building that was constructed in the early 80's. All of the wiring is two wire BX or AC flex cable with no ground wire. The circuit panel is supplied with two hots and a neutral, no main disconnect, and no ground bus. If I were to add a new circuit to the panel (using AC flex cable with two wires plus ground), how would I properly attach the ground wire to the circuit panel. Thanks in advance
put bare wire same as others
klighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klighthouse For This Useful Post:
1norfleet (05-04-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

No ground bus in panel

The sheathing of the bx and ac is the ground. The riser for the panel is more than likey rigid pipe, which goes down to the meter room. This where your meter and disconnect is located. Everything is bonded together by the pipe. This why there is no ground barin your panel.
If you intend to run new circuits using mc cable than a ground bar will have to be installed in the panel.
NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #5

No ground bus in panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMarine View Post
The sheathing of the bx and ac is the ground. The riser for the panel is more than likey rigid pipe, which goes down to the meter room. This where your meter and disconnect is located. Everything is bonded together by the pipe. This why there is no ground barin your panel.
If you intend to run new circuits using mc cable than a ground bar will have to be installed in the panel.
Thanks for the response. Will the ground bus just be screwed/bolted to the panel? Sounds like a simple fix.
1norfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #6

No ground bus in panel

Normally a ground terminal strip (ground bus bar) is screwed to the back of the panel but there may be extra steps in the instructions. At the very least, scrape all of the paint off of the area where the bar will be attached so there is metal to metal contact.

BX cable sheathing is not considered an "adequate" ground. There may or may not be a bare wire or metal strip running through the BX cable to be an adequate ground. If 3 prong receptacles are installed where 2 prong receptacles used to be and you want a true ground where there was none, then you will have to run a separate ground wire from the receptacle to the panel. (The wire need not follow the exact path of the circuit conductors or BX cable.)
Old 05-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

No ground bus in panel

You can get ground bar kits at most big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot). But you need to know the brand of your panel - they're not really interchangeable.

For Square D panels (the only ones I'm familiar with), the ground bar does indeed just screw into the back of the panel. The holes are already there. Some panels have spaces for two ground bars.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 05-04-2011 at 12:57 PM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

No ground bus in panel

allenj is correct bx does not have the small bonding wire but ac does.
Make sure that that wire installed is ac and not bx. More than likely it will be ac cable.

NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote