Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

No ground in bedroom

I am selling my house and we agreed to fix the outlets in the bedroom that are not grounded. We have since discovered that there is no ground wire anywhere in the bedroom and do to this we will have to run a ground wire through the walls and to the 5 outlets in the bedroom. I have had 2 different electricans tell me it will take up to 2 days and $500 plus to fix this. Both companies were contacted through Angies List.

Do I have any other options? The buyer has already refused me replacing all the outlets with 2 prong outlets. She wants the room grounded. The house is 60 years old in KS.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Kevin

irishkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #2

No ground in bedroom

First thought is that there is no need for grounded outlets in the bedroom so you shouldn't have agreed to the change. However, it sounds like you had ungrounded "3 prong" outlets in the bedroom which is wrong so you should have replaced those with the correct "2 prong" outlets prior to selling the house.

Since you have agreed to the deal you have a legally binding contract and really have no choice and need to have it done (the bids seem reasonable). It never pays to agree to something if you don't understand the costs prior to agreeing.

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #3

No ground in bedroom

Two prong or put a gfci in. You wont have a "ground" but you can legally install grounded outlets. It is still safe.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #4

No ground in bedroom

The buyer will not accept the 2 prong option. They are insisting on grounding the room. We thought it would be an easy fix. The buyer does not understand that the room was never grounded. So, any other options?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

No ground in bedroom

There is no way to properly safety ground or ground reference (for pc connection) an outlet if the grounding conductor doesn't exist. As mentioned you can put a gfci receptacle in or gfci breaker assuming that all the receptacles are on the same circuit. If you use a gfci receptacle you will need to determine which one is first in line in order to protect the other ones off the load terminals of the single gfci.

Code also allows you to run a single green insulated ground wire sized for the circuit back to the panel or any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductors...often it is just as easy to rewire with new cable.

Gfci will protect you from electrocution but not shock. It doesn't provide a ground though. In otherwords if a fault is occurring you may recieve a shock just before the gfci trips out but in token it will trip out if you plug something into it or any protected outlet that has a ground fault leak protecting you from exposure to that fault.
So all in all very good saftey protection. Would cost you about 15 bucks if gfci receptacle is used. and yes anything from the gfci that is protected downstream can be legally a 3 prong outlet even though the ground wire is'nt there.

I would discuss this with the buyer as to what her concerns are for wanting grounded outlets. Maybe someone has misinformed her about how serious that is?? Tell her that even her vacuum is only a 2 prong cord. Kitchens need them IMO or anywhere where a known 3 prong cord is going to be used.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #6

No ground in bedroom

There is no ground wire present, so can we fit a gfci outlet with no wire?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

No ground in bedroom

Certainly, the gfci doesn't need a ground wire to work properly that's why they allow it....

As far as fit...it might be a little tight due to being a bit bulky but you can get it in that box most likely.....

It is a code compliant fix for safety but will not provide the ground wire some equipment will need.

Stubbie
Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

No ground in bedroom

This will help.....

Stubbie
Old 02-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #9

No ground in bedroom

Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #10

No ground in bedroom

The question is, will the buyer accept it?
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #11

No ground in bedroom

I dont think so, she is being very picky and this is causing a huge problem. It is a 60 year old house and I dont know if she gets that. She wants the room grounded so I will have to run a wire through the crawl space and into the back bedroom and then hook it into all 5 outlets. I do not want to spend that amount of money, when in my eyes it is a simple fix. I am offered to replace all outlets to a 2 prong and that fixes the problem. Am I right?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #12

No ground in bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkev View Post
I am offered to replace all outlets to a 2 prong and that fixes the problem. Am I right?
Not in the buyers eye. I think the only thing she will accept will cost you money! Like some of the previous posters said it is something that you should have researched before agreeing to. Sorry I don't mean to be mean!

Gary
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #13

No ground in bedroom

You can run a single ground wire as stubbie mentioned, but it would be just as easy (or hard) to run new romex. If you do go the equipment grounding route, it would look better to run actual romex.

The gfci option is the cheapest thing to do.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
UAW SKILLED TRADES

No ground in bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The question is, will the buyer accept it?
I was hoping we made that clear but I think money got in the way of common sense.....

Stubbie
Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
Licensed electrician

No ground in bedroom

Remind me not to sell my 73 Pinto to this buyer. Probably wants an air bag installed.

Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote