Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #1

Share |

No Ground

My wife and I are in the process of buying an older home (67 yrs old) and according to the home inspector the electrical in the home is old and it is not grounded. He said it would be a good idea to get everything grounded but if not it would still be OK, he said just make sure to use good surge protectors. My question is, how necessary is it? Also i've heard it is quite expensive, its a small home just over 800 SQ ft. how much would something like this cost? Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

dankreboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #2

No Ground

The first step is replacing the breakers with GFCI breakers. This will protect all the outlets.

Second would be to make sure the water and gas piping is properly bonded and ground rods are in place.

Third step would be to run new circuits for the heavy use items in the kitchen like coffee maker, toaster and microwave.

Forth would be a new circuit to the bathroom outlets for the 1500watt hairdryer.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Union Electrician

No Ground

I agree with 220. These things can be done in stages to mitigate the impact on your wallet. I think that they are in exactly the right order as well.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

No Ground

Most surge protection strips depend on the grounded receptacle to function properly.

For all the hassle of grounding the old wiring you should just run new cables with grounds. You can also add the new circuits where needed instead of what is there now.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
When is fishing season?

No Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankreboot View Post
My wife and I are in the process of buying an older home (67 yrs old) and according to the home inspector the electrical in the home is old and it is not grounded. He said it would be a good idea to get everything grounded but if not it would still be OK, he said just make sure to use good surge protectors. My question is, how necessary is it? Also i've heard it is quite expensive, its a small home just over 800 SQ ft. how much would something like this cost? Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Our house had all old wiring in it when we first bought it, except for maybe 2 rooms. We have just re wired room by room as we have the money. It not incredibly expensive, just labor intensive.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

No Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankreboot View Post
Surge suppressors will do nothing for you at all. Most items in a house have two prong plugs and do not require, nor benefit from, a grounding type receptacle outlet. Start by rewiring any circuits which do need a ground for a three prong plug. Such as the washing machine and other large appliances. Replace the receptacles near the sinks, any outside, and in the basement with GFCI receptacles. Use the stickers which say, "no equipment ground present." Those GFCI's will protect you from harm in those locations. Call an electrical contractor to have a look and give you options and estimates.

jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote