Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

no-box switch upgrade

I am trying to replace a flat designer style light switch in a brand new park model trailer with a dimmer switch of the same style.

Upon removing the (3-switch) wall plate to check on the depth of the box, I found that there was NO box, and all 3 switches were independently wired with 14-2 going all the way into the switch housings, and each switch was held in place in the same way as an after-construction box (each switch has screw-type variable-depth clamps top and bottom).

Other than disassembling and removing all 3 switches, installing a box, and replacing all 3 switches with appropriate (box-mount) types, do you have any suggestions on how I might replace the 1 switch with a dimmer?

jayb1484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

no-box switch upgrade

I must be losing something, but since you installed a box (3 gang by your description) why can't you just replace one of the switches with a standard dimmer?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

no-box switch upgrade

Trailer wiring is fun, innit?

I'm afraid you pretty much have to re-work the other two switches into the new box as standard switches. It's probably for the best, new switches are a buck or two, and I personally don't trust the factory-installed switches and outlets very much.

Otherwise, you'll have to figure out a way to mount the new dimmer separately in it's own single-gang box, and replace the triple-gang switch plate with a double. That'll probably leave you with a hole in the wall to patch.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Electrical Supplier

no-box switch upgrade

He didnt install a box. He said that the switches were fastened LIKE an rework box.

I think what he has are enclosed devices or "all in ones" that dont require a box. I know they make outlets, but didnt know they made switches....I think that if you want them to match, get the manufacturer off the device and find a supply house that sells it. Its a specialty item so expect a 2 week lead time and a decent cost.

You might have to go to a Mobile home specialty store or something like that.....

Your AHJ/Inspectors ALWAYS have the final say on ANY electrical code issue.
If in doubt, contact a licensed, experienced, reputable electrician to perform the work.
LyonsElecSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #5

no-box switch upgrade

Thanks to all that replied. 1) for the first replier: Read it again. I didn't make any changes (yet) and DON'T want to go thru the bother of installing a box, etc. 2) The rest is apparently as I suspected according to your replies. I am already trying to contact the manufacturer of the home fo info (but it's the weekend), and have yet to pull the switch out of the wall (again...yeah, I should have looked for the switch mfr the first time - doh!)
I'll let y'all know how it is resolved.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

no-box switch upgrade

I have never seen a dimmer designed like those "no-box" trailer devices.

A box is the only way.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Electrical Supplier

no-box switch upgrade

Yeah me neither Petey. I have seen switches and Receptacles. I dont think dimmers would be able to as they need to shed the heat generated from dimming (about 1-2% of the load being dimmed) Being in one of the all in ones would not allow full capacity dimming.....

A box might be your only way partner.

If in doubt, contact a licensed, experienced, reputable electrician to perform the work.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

no-box switch upgrade

Sorry, I mis-read your post. Remove the existing switches and install a 3 gang box. Cheapest and simplest way to go. I would not use one of those boxless devices even if they made a dimmer switch version.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Electrical Supplier

no-box switch upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Sorry, I mis-read your post. Remove the existing switches and install a 3 gang box. Cheapest and simplest way to go. I would not use one of those boxless devices even if they made a dimmer switch version.
It probably is the cheapest, however I will tell you it wont be simple.

He will be short on wire.....its easier to feed sheathed romex through the clamps over unsheathed romex...trust me....I did a junction box swap in my garage from a round nail on to a 4square plastic nail on...it was a pain and i had like an inch to work with on on circuit....

Adding a box will be a pain.....but unfortunately this is what i think he will end up doing.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #10

no-box switch upgrade

Thanks again. Lyons - I think you and others hit the nail on the head...no other way. It's my dad's new home here; I am just visiting and going home on Monday next. Maybe next trip I'll tool up and do it (if it THAT important to him). I like a challenge...
Old 02-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

no-box switch upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1484 View Post
Thanks again. Lyons - I think you and others hit the nail on the head...no other way. It's my dad's new home here; I am just visiting and going home on Monday next. Maybe next trip I'll tool up and do it (if it THAT important to him). I like a challenge...

Thats good, bcause you will have one.
Like lyons said, the wire will be short, unless they left slack inside the walls.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Mad Scientist

no-box switch upgrade

Yeah, it's kinda hit or miss with trailers. When I was replacing switches and outlets in the trailer I lived in for a while, about half the time there was a good foot of slack in the wall. The other half the time, I had to get creative, and cut in a junction box in the wall to splice in some extra cable.

I know some people use those Tyco splice kits, buried in the wall, but I don't think I would. Their legality is still kind of ambiguous, and I don't like the idea of having a connection somewhere where I can't easily get at it.

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxless, new construction, no-box, park model, trailer