NM Cable On Trusses - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

NM Cable on Trusses

The Project:
New Wiring in Attached Garage

The Question:
By code, can NM Cable (12 & 14 Romex) be run perpendicular to the manufactured trusses as shown below in location A and/or D on the Top Chord and/or in location B and/or C on the web supports with nothing more than staples at 4' spacing?

Considerations:
Flooring in center as indicated, but not on either side. Some areas are open floor to roof, other areas have ceiling installed on bottom chord. 9' ceiling height to bottom chord. No permanent stairs/access. Not considering running on the top of the bottom chord.

Thanks in advance for the opinions.
Quest

ETA: See the attachment if the above image is missing

Attached Thumbnails
NM Cable on Trusses-trussdesign01.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Quest; 08-27-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

NM Cable on Trusses

I think it's fine, but i'll let the experts chime in. I think anything abive 7 or 8 feet from the floor in a garage is considered safe from damage.

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,908

NM Cable on Trusses

I would use either B or C. Both A and D expose the cable to higher ambient temperatures.

Wherever you decide the cable needs to be protected if subject to damage. Perhaps some furring strip running boards on the B side would provide all the protection you need.

Wiring within 7' of the attic scuttle will need protection.

A side note, most trusses are not designed for an internal load like storage.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,080

NM Cable on Trusses

"A side note, most trusses are not designed for an internal load like storage." ------- Check your local State Codes: http://www.tricountytruss.com/CodeChanges.aspx

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

NM Cable on Trusses

Thanks for the responses. Further comments welcome.

I've found alot of discussion about running the romex across the top of the bottom chord, but I could not find any discussion of stapling it to the web supports or the bottom of the top chord.

B & C (on the web support) seemed to be the logical choice to keep the wires out of foot danger, still accessible, and seemed to meet code - But I wanted some other opinions and confirmation that I wasn't missing something in the code.

This will make home runs from end to end easy to layout and staple.

As to the storage - these trusses were specified for light storage loads in this center section and engineered accordingly. I will double check the specs to see what that load factor is. (GBR in WA - interesting link to a solution that removes the possibility of storage)

(Note: I'll edit the original post to include my truss image as an attachment for future reference)

Last edited by Quest; 08-27-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote