Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

NM cable in accessible attic - perpendicular to rafters?

Hi all,

I've spent several hours today reading about the NEC code regarding running NM cable in an accessible attic. I apologize if I missed the answer to this, and I know similar questions are asked continually. Because I'm going to build up the joists and blow in an extra 6" of insulation, I don't want to run NM cable through or across the floor joists. I also don't want to drill holes in the rafters to thread the cables through.

This is an accessible attic (permanent pull-down stairs) with very little headroom (around 5' in the center).

My question: Is it permissible by the NEC code to screw a 1x6 or 1x10 as a running board, perpendicular to the *rafters* (high enough to clear the blown-in insulation and be accessible, but not so high as to hit my head on the board), and staple the NM cables (there may be several) to the board at least every 4.5 inches?

Will this be adequate protection, or will I also have to screw 2x4s on edge to provide a guard "at least as high as the cable"?

Thanks!

keodark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by keodark View Post
Hi all,

I've spent several hours today reading about the NEC code regarding running NM cable in an accessible attic. I apologize if I missed the answer to this, and I know similar questions are asked continually. Because I'm going to build up the joists and blow in an extra 6" of insulation, I don't want to run NM cable through or across the floor joists. I also don't want to drill holes in the rafters to thread the cables through.

This is an accessible attic (permanent pull-down stairs) with very little headroom (around 5' in the center).

My question: Is it permissible by the NEC code to screw a 1x6 or 1x10 as a running board, perpendicular to the *rafters* (high enough to clear the blown-in insulation and be accessible, but not so high as to hit my head on the board), and staple the NM cables (there may be several) to the board at least every 4.5 inches?

Will this be adequate protection, or will I also have to screw 2x4s on edge to provide a guard "at least as high as the cable"?

Thanks!

Yes, this is fine, if you ran the cables across the top the of the floor joist, you would then need a guard strip as high as the cable, but what you are doing is perfect. You may want to try stack-its on your running board...

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Thanks, Stickboy. I didn't even know those existed! I'll try em out.
keodark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by keodark View Post
Thanks, Stickboy. I didn't even know those existed! I'll try em out.
3M makes them, it will save you some time....
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 6

The cables only need to be secured at no more than 4.5 feet, not inches.