Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,040
Rewards Points: 2,050
Default

Nightmare Pics


Welfare.... and nothing said about the illegal aliens.....

Stubbie is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
World famous jerk.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central PA
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by arichard21 View Post
How dare you talk down to me for getting a grant! Shame on you!
I feel completely justified in doing so, since it might well be my tax money fixing your home. I feel no shame in this matter, since I pay for my own stuff. If you can't afford to fix your home, you're simply living above your means. Sell your house and rent or move into a trailer. Taking home repair welfare is nothing to be proud of, and crying about the quality of the free work is the most shameful thing you have done so far. Much of this work didn't "need" to be done. You wanted it done, and you saw a golden goose. There are many people living in homes with old doors and windows, for instance.

You see, maybe you make 25K a year and live in a 90K fixer-upper home. (just for example). You can get welfare assistance to put a roof on your home. If I make 250K and live in a 900K home (maybe this is an example, maybe it's not ), nobody's gonna give me welfare to do a blessed thing around my house, and the ratios are exactly the same.

Make your own keep, and if you can't, quit your crying about the quality of the handouts. When I was young, I helped out in a mission (like a homeless shelter). I can clearly remember one man in particular pitching a fit because the bread was stale (stale, not moldy. I'd have eaten it). You're that guy.

Last edited by mdshunk; 02-19-2008 at 04:46 PM.
mdshunk is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #18
waiting for spring
 
arichard21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
I feel completely justified in doing so, since it might well be my tax money fixing your home. I feel no shame in this matter, since I pay for my own stuff. If you can't afford to fix your home, you're simply living above your means. Sell your house and rent or move into a trailer. Taking home repair welfare is nothing to be proud of, and crying about the quality of the free work is the most shameful thing you have done so far. Much of this work didn't "need" to be done. You wanted it done, and you saw a golden goose. There are many people living in homes with old doors and windows, for instance.

You see, maybe you make 25K a year and live in a 90K fixer-upper home. (just for example). You can get welfare assistance to put a roof on your home. If I make 250K and live in a 900K home (maybe this is an example, maybe it's not ), nobody's gonna give me welfare to do a blessed thing around my house, and the ratios are exactly the same.

Make your own keep, and if you can't, quit your crying about the quality of the handouts. When I was young, I helped out in a mission (like a homeless shelter). I can clearly remember one man in particular pitching a fit because the bread was stale (stale, not moldy. I'd have eaten it). You're that guy.




Ya know what? I pay taxes too. I have since I was 16 years old. I volunteer in the community every saturday at habitat for humanity and every wednesday at the food pantry. I most certainly do earn my keep. We paid $10,000 cash for this house that we saved up for 5 years to do so. We lived in it with 2x4 built makeshift cabinets, doors that we had to put a blanket and plastic over and an extremly leaky roof, among other things for 5 years. There was one room we couldn't use because there was mold in it. But, we didn't have to throw our money away anymore to some slum lord. This oppertunity came along and I knew in my heart that I deserved it, to have a nicer place for my family.

Ya know... it's ours. no one else owns it. WE OWN THIS HOUSE OUTRIGHT.

You are no better person that I am.


And FYI, we didn't choose what got done under the grant. We had ZERO say in it. They came in and decided what we needed.

If you don't think family's like mine deserve things like this, then write to your congressmen and anyone else who will listen and tell them that people who struggle to just barely get by and aren't as much as a human being as you don't deserve these "hand outs".

Last edited by arichard21; 02-19-2008 at 05:16 PM.
arichard21 is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
World famous jerk.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central PA
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by arichard21 View Post
If you don't think family's like mine deserve things like this, then write to your congressmen and anyone else who will listen and tell them that people who struggle to just barely get by and aren't as much as a human being as you don't deserve these "hand outs".
I have to wonder if you're only struggling because you don't spend your money wisely? That 10K could have been a downpayment, and the money you say you've spent on home repairs could have been your mortgage payment. The time you spent on the house could have been better spent on more profitable endeavors. After all, it seems that you have a digital camera, a computer, and Internet access. If I was as bad off as you claim to be, I wouldn't have any of those things. I also wouldn't be home at this hour. I'd be working my second job. Welfare is no substitution for personal industry.
mdshunk is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #20
World famous jerk.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central PA
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by arichard21 View Post
WE OWN THIS HOUSE OUTRIGHT.
Now, every single one of us other taxpayers have a resultant trust interest in your home, since we're investing more in it than you paid for it in the first place.
mdshunk is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #21
Power Gen/RS Engineer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oak Park, Illinois
Posts: 751
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Nightmare Pics


Think I'll interject here, if for no other reason than to break the chain.

Here in Chicago/near 'burbs, everything is in pipe. That being said, I don't know what the exact requirements are for NM but I'd never distrust the words of Stubbie. On the other hand, there is something to be said for "workmanlike manner" or quality.

I did a power plant job and the owner awarded the electrical work to a local, non-union shop. In one area, they had to run a rack of probably 20-30 pipes, mostly 3/4" and 1" RGS which passed perpendicular to a concrete encased beam. Since they were running everything tight to the ceiling, they had to drop down to the bottom flange of the beam and then offset back up to the ceiling. Depending on who was running pipe that day, some were 30 deg. bends, some 45 deg., some 60 deg. Heck, a few of them were one angle on the drop and another on the rise. We made them pick an angle and redo all others to match. The reason? It looked like crap. Period. The owner wasn't happy, we weren't happy and in the end, the foreman admitted that it was pretty shoddy too. Was it code-legal? Absolutely. Was it embarrassingly gross quality. Mmm-hmmm.

Somewhere I know I read about this being HUD-funded and there being no inspection required. In my village, they couldn't give a rip who's doing the work or how it's being paid for. Bottom line: (here anyway) You must have a permit and you must have the work inspected (unless you have curtains). I don't know much about HUD but I'd kindly recommend that you have any future work inspected. That can, and should be done irrespective of who is funding it. I understand that you may not necessarily know firsthand if the work was code-compliant or not and if you're not sure, bringing in someone who specializes in it is a good idea, especially when fire safety is the bottom line.

It's sad to see, with the housing boom, so much garbage work being done. And with big volumes to check, inspectors don't always have enough time to look really closely at all the details. I bought a new condominium in 2000 and spent the entire 6 years that I lived in it fixing all the substandard work. Non-responsive developers, fly-by-night contractors, poor inspections. Exit on the right for Chicago. On the other hand, when the dust settles (as it is in the process), the good contractors will still have work. Word of mouth is key.

This is a DIY forum. Certain people should remember that before spitting flames. We all come here because we're either trying to do something ourself or are interested in helping others do the work themselves. I admire the OP for buying a home to create a better environment for his family. I bought the biggest piece of crap house in a very nice neighborhood in order to send my kids to quality public schools. I did the electrical inspection myself and had an SE, licensed plumber and a good GC come through to perform inspections that were germane to their professions. I knew it needed a lot of work up front and bargained with the seller accordingly. But...I knew that the only way that we'd be able to afford this sucker and make it our dream was if I was going to do the lion's share of the work myself. I'm not affraid to admit that I don't know everything but I try to educate myself as much as possible before jumping in and trying new things.

And at the end of the day, I can't say that I own mine outright

Good luck!

Jimmy
__________________
Well, now, there's what's right and what's right and never the twain shall meet.

Last edited by BigJimmy; 02-19-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling
BigJimmy is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #22
World famous jerk.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central PA
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
This is a DIY forum. Certain people should remember that before spitting flames.
You must know this, then. There is a back-story here. This user posted on a contractor board, eliciting users to come to this site and check out this thread. I don't participate here much, but I did oblige on this one.
mdshunk is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #23
waiting for spring
 
arichard21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
I have to wonder if you're only struggling because you don't spend your money wisely? That 10K could have been a downpayment, and the money you say you've spent on home repairs could have been your mortgage payment. The time you spent on the house could have been better spent on more profitable endeavors. After all, it seems that you have a digital camera, a computer, and Internet access. If I was as bad off as you claim to be, I wouldn't have any of those things. I also wouldn't be home at this hour. I'd be working my second job. Welfare is no substitution for personal industry.

For the last time, I am not and have never been on welfare.

Please, before you assume anything understand that I am not poor. I am a working class guy, and why don't I work in the evenings? Because my wife does.

You obviously don't think that anyone ever deserves any help, and if they do get it they should be shunned in their house with no entertainment values at all (computer, camera, internet, etc).

Get a clue.
arichard21 is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #24
World famous jerk.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central PA
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by arichard21 View Post
You obviously don't think that anyone ever deserves any help,...
On the contrary. The aged, the disabled, the chronically ill, the completely destitute, and widows are some examples of people who may well need help. You, by your own admission, are perfectly able bodied and not destitute.
mdshunk is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #25
PRO Siding Windows Roofs
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 96
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by arichard21 View Post
I knew in my heart that I deserved it, to have a nicer place for my family.
I work pretty hard myself, I think I deserve a break too, instead I just get to pay thousands in taxes so people like you can get breaks.

This is like the people we install windows for, that get energy grants based on income, and then they *************** cause we made a little dust, or too much noise during the half day we were at their house installing their free windows.
PKHI is offline  
Old 02-20-2008, 05:22 AM   #26
waiting for spring
 
arichard21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
On the contrary. The aged, the disabled, the chronically ill, the completely destitute, and widows are some examples of people who may well need help. You, by your own admission, are perfectly able bodied and not destitute.
Well, I am sorry that I can't be more like you. I will work on mirroring everything you do, as I seem to be the only person in the world who isn't.

I would kill for a 250k a year job and almost a million dollar home.

I am a husband and a father of 3, and we live off of 31k a year (my income and my wifes). Our house is worth $57k.

You should think about rearranging YOUR priorities. Remember, there are hundreds of millions of dollars of YOUR tax money squandered by politicians every day. You are paying for a senator that works less than half the amount you or I do and persues completly BS issues... you are paying for the Mercedes he drives. You are paying for him to introduce a bill that screws me and help him because he is rich and I am working class.

You need a serious reality check on this situation. I did not *************** that he "made too much dust" or that he made "too much noise"...

This man took my house and made it UNsafe for my family. The code officer almost put us out of the house because of the serverity of the electrical violations THIS GUY CREATED. We have 3 brand new doors that we can see daylight around. The bathtub he installed leaked and riuned the sheetrock in there.

I wish that we never got this grant.

Apperantly, you do too.

Would you like to come over for dinner? Sit in my recliner and put up your feet... let me get you a beer, then dance for you... after all it should be yours since you own me and my house because of your precious tax money that went into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKHI View Post
I work pretty hard myself, I think I deserve a break too, instead I just get to pay thousands in taxes so people like you can get breaks.

This is like the people we install windows for, that get energy grants based on income, and then they *************** cause we made a little dust, or too much noise during the half day we were at their house installing their free windows.
PKHI, I work hard too. I work damn hard, just like the rest of the world. Does that automaticly mean that I make ALOT of money? No. I bust my ass for squat, but there is nothing better around here. I make 22k a year, and for the area I live that is GOOD. The median 2 income family here earns only 35k a year. Property taxes are sky high. Fuel (gasoline, heating oil, etc) are sky high. Why do I live here? My wife has lived in this town her entire life, and will never leave it. I have to do what I have to do.
arichard21 is offline  
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #27
World famous jerk.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central PA
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by arichard21 View Post
I work damn hard, just like the rest of the world. Does that automaticly mean that I make ALOT of money? No. I bust my ass for squat, but there is nothing better around here. I make 22k a year, and for the area I live that is GOOD. The median 2 income family here earns only 35k a year. Property taxes are sky high. Fuel (gasoline, heating oil, etc) are sky high. Why do I live here? My wife has lived in this town her entire life, and will never leave it. I have to do what I have to do.
Sounds like your wife's silly emotional ties to that area are sorely holding you back. I'd move if things were as you say in that area. Sounds like you need to take some responsibility for your bad decision making in life.

If your wife has roots in that area, get one of her friends or relatives to keep an eye on the kids in the evening and get yourself a second job part-time.

Last edited by mdshunk; 02-20-2008 at 06:10 AM.
mdshunk is offline  
Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #28
waiting for spring
 
arichard21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Nightmare Pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Sounds like your wife's silly emotional ties to that area are sorely holding you back. I'd move if things were as you say in that area. Sounds like you need to take some responsibility for your bad decision making in life.

If your wife has roots in that area, get one of her friends or relatives to keep an eye on the kids in the evening and get yourself a second job part-time.

It isn't that easy my friend, to just up and move.

And we get by just fine at this time. At the time we got the grant I was making a few thousand a year less and my wife was in college full time...

And I am a big boy, don't need you to tell me how to live my life and what I should and shouldn't do.

Do you feel like you should be able to tell anyone who the government gives money to what they should do?

My whole point is that you are tlaking down to me because I got help, and YOU paid for it and I didn't deserve it. It is ignorance that breeds hate and turns things ugly. You feel I owe you something. I feel I am a good man doing what I have to do. I am not going to judge you, and I ask you do the same.

If you want to hold the opinion of me as a welfare mommy who was given stale bread, so be it. Just know that I hold the opinion that you are ignorant to people who are not exactly like you. If you don't like paying taxes and working class people recieving help from that tax money, move to another country where they don't give a crap about people who are not rich. Move somewhere it is acceptable to spit on a homeless person because let's face it, it's their fault they are there and there is no reason they can't make 250k a year like you.

I am sorry I posted these pics and brought all this out. This whole thing got blown WAAAAAY out of hand, and I am ending it now.

arichard21 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porch Repair Project (pics) and questions vendejp Carpentry 12 10-05-2007 09:30 PM
Running into difficulties installing bathroom mirror (pics of the nightmare incl.!) joeyboy General DIY Discussions 18 08-10-2007 10:04 AM
Trying to post my pics, but they are huge...... yummy mummy Building & Construction 2 03-03-2007 10:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.