Newbie Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie help

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to wiring. I am in Memphis (noticed a lot of people not posting locations).

I have an upstairs middle bedroom that I am converting into 3 closets (1 for each br on either side and 1 off the hall for a linen closet). The current br has 1 light on a switch.

My plan is to put a pull chain light in each closet and bypass the switch. I will be using the low wattage fluorescent bulbs. My question is: can I take the current feed (14/3) and split it off to the 3 lights? Would it be best to run wire to one, then off that one and on to the second? Etc.

Since it is in an attic, do I need junction boxes for where I split the wires off to the lights? (I assume this would be best, but don't know code)

I can post pics if necessary. I have attached a drawing how I think it should be done. Pardon the poor artwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie help-3-way-lighting-proposed.jpg  

Advertisement

lionround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Newbie help

Every junction has to be in a box and accessible (can't be covered with drywall) even if in an attic. This means that you need to leave accessible the box that the old switch was in or run a new wire into the closets from a previous j-box or a home run from the panel.

If these closets will have clothes in them (I assume they will), the applicable section of the code is attached. You can wire with 14/2 wire if you have a 15A circuit. If the circuit is 20A, you have to use 12/2.

You can go from one light to the next, be sure to wire in parallel and not in series. Meaning, when the wire enters the first light box, black goes to black, white to white. You also put the black/white feeding the next light in the same wirenut. So each nut will have 3 wires (incoming feed, light's wire, outgoing feed to next light). If the box is metal, it needs to be grounded, so in that case, the ground wirenut would have 4 wires).

You said you were using fixtures with fluorescent bulbs. If these COULD accept normal incandescent bulbs, but you just choose to use the CFLs, the code would probably count that as an incandescent in 410.16 (C)(1) below, but I'm not certain on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie help-closetlum.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by secutanudu; 03-21-2010 at 08:10 PM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote