Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #1

Share |

Newbie electrical

Hello. New to this forum and new home owner.

Also a today novice when it come to electrical work.

Was hoping someone could offer some tips and assistance with a project I was hoping to tackle.

I have an already existing conduit with 4 wires coming out taped off: a red, white black and blue wire.

What are they all and how can I ale what's there currently and attach a single pole light switch and then a small light fixture in my grange. Also if possible I would like to add a gfi outlet on the same line and in the same dual face plate?

I am going to try and attach the photos of my current situation but if hat doesn't work and you an assist please let me now and I can email you the pics directly.

I appreciate any and all assistance with accomplishing this project.

Thanks

Name:  image-1652693327.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  45.2 KB

Current available power/wires

Name:  image-791186057.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  29.0 KB

What I would like to install

Name:  image-1040884169.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  45.8 KB

The light fixture to install

Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #2

Newbie electrical

The wires should be like this black nad blue are hot, white= neutral, green= ground

Well and this is what I would do

1. Test the wires and make sure the black and the blue have power. The white and green should be your neutral and ground but never count on it. Check that the wires in the panel are connected properly to a double breaker. And the other wires into the neutral/grounding bus.

2. Once you have that established turn of power, then put the wire into a 2 gang box ( make sure you use connectors). Then run another wire of the same AWG from the 2 gang box to where the light will be. (make sure you use a box). The connections for the light will be straight forward black-black white-white ground-ground. Then In the 2 gang box goes like this the 2 neutrals get spliced with one picktale for the gfi. The grounds should be spliced with 2 picktales one for the gfi and one for the switch. Then connect one hot to feed your gfi, other hot to your switch. And then the other black of your new wire will be your switch leg connected to the other screw ot the switch.

Just hope this is helpful

Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

Newbie electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius793
The wires should be like this black nad blue are hot, white= neutral, green= ground

Well and this is what I would do

1. Test the wires and make sure the black and the blue have power. The white and green should be your neutral and ground but never count on it. Check that the wires in the panel are connected properly to a double breaker. And the other wires into the neutral/grounding bus.

2. Once you have that established turn of power, then put the wire into a 2 gang box ( make sure you use connectors). Then run another wire of the same AWG from the 2 gang box to where the light will be. (make sure you use a box). The connections for the light will be straight forward black-black white-white ground-ground. Then In the 2 gang box goes like this the 2 neutrals get spliced with one picktale for the gfi. The grounds should be spliced with 2 picktales one for the gfi and one for the switch. Then connect one hot to feed your gfi, other hot to your switch. And then the other black of your new wire will be your switch leg connected to the other screw ot the switch.

Just hope this is helpful
Thank you for your reply. It is a great start for me. Again I am extremely new to electrical work even as this may seem like an easy job.

I'm going to try and dumb it down even more and you let me know if I'm right....

I take the current wires and push them into a new 2 blue plastic gang box and then out plastic pigtails on the ends of the wire?

Then connect new black and white wires to the current black and white wires and run them from the new 2 gang box out through new conduit into a new 1 gang box I out up for the light fixture and put on new pigtails on those wires when done.

Then connect black to black white to white and install the fixture. Done with that.

Back to the 2 gang box where we still have a blue and red hot wire and a green ground?

Attach 2 new green wires to the already existing wire and tie one of that to gfi neutral and one to the light switch neutral?

Then connect black to gfi and blue to the switch for hot?

I'm missing what to with red OR I am totally mixed up and none of this interpretation of your reply is right. Lol

Thank for your time with this.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Newbie electrical

You can NOT use a plastic box on the end of a flexible metal conduit as you have shown in the picture.

You must use a metal box, and securely connect the conduit fitting to it using a lock-ring.

You could use a "deep 1900 box" on that, along with a 2-gang raised cover:

OR

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!

Last edited by kbsparky; 12-16-2011 at 10:07 AM.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #5

Newbie electrical

Thank you kbsparky.... How was my interpretation on the rest of the original reply?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
In a little over my head

Newbie electrical

Greenie, If I may offer a suggestion.
Start building up a library of How-To books. I am in the process of building an addition, and have bought new books on Wiring, Plumbing, Framing etc. The books from Taunton and Creative Homeowner have both been a great help. Combine a good book and DIY Chatroom, and you can do almost anything.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #7

Newbie electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie

Thank you for your reply. It is a great start for me. Again I am extremely new to electrical work even as this may seem like an easy job.

I'm going to try and dumb it down even more and you let me know if I'm right....

I take the current wires and push them into a new 2 blue plastic gang box and then out plastic pigtails on the ends of the wire?

Then connect new black and white wires to the current black and white wires and run them from the new 2 gang box out through new conduit into a new 1 gang box I out up for the light fixture and put on new pigtails on those wires when done.

Then connect black to black white to white and install the fixture. Done with that.

Back to the 2 gang box where we still have a blue and red hot wire and a green ground?

Attach 2 new green wires to the already existing wire and tie one of that to gfi neutral and one to the light switch neutral?

Then connect black to gfi and blue to the switch for hot?

I'm missing what to with red OR I am totally mixed up and none of this interpretation of your reply is right. Lol

Thank for your time with this.
Ok I think you maybe making a few mistakes. But really what I think would be the best is push this project off just a little and get some books to increase your electrical knowledge. then you can come back with any questions you have. In addition I really don't think opening your panel with you current knowledge is a good idea, it can potentially be very dangerous!