Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

Share |

newbie attempting ceiling fan install

Our existing ceiling fan was wobbling, so I took it down. Turns out it was installed in a light box. No good, especially since it was over our bed. So I took this opportunity to get a new fan that looks a little better for the room, but it's proving to be more frustrating that I expected. Acouple of questions for those who are more experienced:

1)I tried to install a Saf T Brace. How solid should this thing feel? I can still wobble the box back and forth somewhat, even when fully tightened into place. The 2x4 structure above ceiling is not ideally placed, so maybe I need to rethink this solution.

2)I'm confused by the wiring situation. In place in the ceiling is a single red wire end, a white wire, a copper wire, a black wire. My Hampton Bay fan has green, white, black and blue. Can somebody help me make the correct wire connections?
Attached Thumbnails
newbie attempting ceiling fan install-imag0026.jpg   newbie attempting ceiling fan install-imag0027.jpg  

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Solutions (handyman)

The box should be as tight as possible. If it wobbles, something isn't tight, try to re-screw. The main thing is to make sure it is strong enough to support the weight of the fan. As to the wiring, I'm assuming there was only a light at this location before? That is why the wires are limited. The box should have a white wire(neutral), a black wire (hot) and a copper wire. If there is a red wire as well, that is either for a two-way swich or a seperatd wall switch for the fan part only. If you only have the three wires, white, black, copper, attach the white to white, black AND blue to the black, and the copper ... or green (ground) to the copper in the box. The only disadvantage here is that when you turn on the light, the fan will start as well. Thats why the blue wire. ( for the light only .. it's white, black and green. If fan only .. it's white blue and green. Think of it as two items in one, the fan plus the light. Hope this makes sense.

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Scared Electrician

bare-green
white-white
black-black
red-blue

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturday Cowboy View Post
bare-green
white-white
black-black
red-blue
That seems to make some sense. Another question: The box that came with my Saf T bar, has two hole punchouts that I'm running the wiring through. I only have the rubber protection ring around 1 of the holes. How worried should I be about this, and what can I do?

a) not worried
b) somewhat worried
c) run

Thanks. I know these are softball questions.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

You need clamps in the knockouts I'm assuming you want romex clamps. Google it to see and image.

I had a similar ceiling fan problem - I solved it by installing a remote control in the fan. We have a small remote control that fits in the place a switch would go that controls the fan.

Tags
ceiling fan wiring box