Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 AM   #1

Share |
Question

New York City Electrical codes for Window Air-conditioners

I just rented a small one room office in Manhattan (central New York City.) Can someone confirm that the local electrical code requires a separate electircal line with its own breaker for a window air-conditioner? Thank you.

lacrossedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

How big is this A/C?
More than a 12k BTU and it's likely regardless of your area.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossedad View Post
I just rented a small one room office in Manhattan (central New York City.) Can someone confirm that the local electrical code requires a separate electircal line with its own breaker for a window air-conditioner? Thank you.
Electrical codes govern the installation of electrical work, not the installation of a portable appliance. Most likely, any office in NYC will be wired with a minimum #12 awg, 20a circuit.

There is no NYC electrical code that requires an a/c outlet in a commercial space.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Although the airconditioner came with the office, I am guessing that it is about 12,000 BTU, the office is just shy of 300 sq feet with 1 large window facing west and 3 large windows facing north. I have to check the breaker box to confirm that the airconditioner is on a separate line. Thanks for your input. Is the BTU output usually marked on the spec plate of a window unit?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #5

Yes, but more importantly the wattage or amperage will be listed. Usually commercial leases spell out the electrical power available, does yours?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

dad, you are asking this for a reason. What is that reason?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #7

I just signed a lease for a small office in Manhattan which has a window airconditioner. When I first looked at it, it appeared to be plugged into a regular wall outlet that did not look like a dedicated line. I requested that the landlord put in two more regular lines plus a deducated airconditioner line (plus paint the place, etc). After our communication yesterday, I went back to look. I see he put in a large conduit with a few outlets including the airconditioner. We went to the power pannel and they showed me the new dedicated airconditioner breaker and the other breakers. Looks like I'm set.