Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Share |

New Well Pump wiring

We have just had a new well drilled. The wiring requirements given by the pump installer were a two-pole 30 amp breaker, and since it's about 200 ft. from the main panel, we've upped the conductor to #8-2 UF with ground. This is, I'm guessing fine for a direct 220v connection (two hots and a ground).

However, I will be building a well house around the pump and tank and have considered installing a small subpanel to add single 110v circuit for a light and pipe heater.

My question is this: Since the grounding bar for the sub-panel will be isolated from the neutral bar can I use the bare copper ground from the main panel as the neutral since the grounding bar will be bonded to a grounding rod at the subpanel? I would probably wrap the bare ground with insulating tape so it would not make contact with the subpanel box.

8-2 UF is about half the price of 8-3 UF...I'd like to save money, but I dont' want to be stupid about it.

Last edited by Randell Tarin; 08-02-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

New Well Pump wiring

No dice. The only safe and legal way to have 120V at the pump house is with the 8-3 UF.

McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

New Well Pump wiring

I bet conduit and individual wires will be cheaper than uf, or at least equal and allow options for the future.

Oh yea, what the mad scientist said about needing the 3 cond. and ground.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I bet conduit and individual wires will be cheaper than uf, or at least equal and allow options for the future
Ditto.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell Tarin View Post
We have just had a new well drilled. The wiring requirements given by the pump installer were a two-pole 30 amp breaker, and since it's about 200 ft. from the main panel, we've upped the conductor to #8-2 UF with ground. This is, I'm guessing fine for a direct 220v connection (two hots and a ground).

What is the HP of the pump?

#8 AWG with a 1/2 HP pump can be used up to 1610' with proper voltage drop...

7 1/2 HP pump maxes out at 200' with # 8AWG., just to give you a little perspective on your wire selection choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:
We have just had a new well drilled. The wiring requirements given by the pump installer were a two-pole 30 amp breaker, and since it's about 200 ft. from the main panel, we've upped the conductor to #8-2 UF with ground.

I dont think I would let a well pump installer tell me how to size the breaker or wire...

The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (08-03-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

New Well Pump wiring

It's a 2 HP pump.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #8

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I bet conduit and individual wires will be cheaper than uf, or at least equal and allow options for the future.

Oh yea, what the mad scientist said about needing the 3 cond. and ground.
So, if I already have the 8-2 UF and am going to run it in conduit, I could use a single #8 wire run in the same conduit as my neutral?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:
It's a 2 HP pump.
#12 AWG is good for 250', but were talking from service entrance to the actual well pump.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-02-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
E2 Electrician

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:

However, I will be building a well house around the pump and tank and have considered installing a small subpanel to add single 110v circuit for a light and pipe heater.
So if you did this, would the light only turn on when the well was running? What i'm asking is, where are the pump controls located? At the pump house?

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-02-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
So if you did this, would the light only turn on when the well was running? What i'm asking is, where are the pump controls located?
They'll be attached to the wall of the well house, I'm guessing.

I'm talking about a separate 110v circuit off of a subpanel. I have the wiring for the pump (to be installed next week) It will be laying on top of the ground until I get my plumber in here to trench and connect the well to my plumbing. I'm going to then place the electrical conduit with the requisite wire in the same trench.

I was just wondering if I could use the bare ground for the neutral since it would not be bonded to the ground at the subpanel. Obviously, it will need to be insulated to keep it from touching the sides of the box enclosure. I thought maybe I could have a section of insulated #10 wire pig-tailed to the ground in a non-conductive junction box outside of the subpanel. Then have the insulated wire entering the subpanel attached to the isolated neutral bar. The other end of the bare ground is going to the grounding/neutral bar in the main panel where both grounds and neutrals terminate anyway.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #12

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
#12 AWG is good for 250', but were talking from service entrance to the actual well pump.
#12 isn't rated for 30 amp is it?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
E2 Electrician

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:
#12 isn't rated for 30 amp is it?
Thats not how it works, the pump itself contains the overload protection, the 30 amp breaker is only for ground fault and short circuit protection.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
E2 Electrician

New Well Pump wiring

Quote:

I was just wondering if I could use the bare ground for the neutral since it would not be bonded to the ground at the subpanel.
Absolutely NOT!

Quote:
I thought maybe I could have a section of insulated #10 wire pig-tailed to the ground in a non-conductive junction box outside of the subpanel. Then have the insulated wire entering the subpanel attached to the isolated neutral bar. The other end of the bare ground is going to the grounding/neutral bar in the main panel where both grounds and neutrals terminate anyway.
No... you need to buy the correct wire for the job.... Personally, I would just buy some 12-2 UF at this point, and use it for the light, of course, now you have a structure and other violations will follow. So really, the thing to do is go buy some XX-3 UF wire.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-02-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #15

New Well Pump wiring

[QUOTE=stickboy1375;979980]Absolutely NOT!

I don't understand why.

The ground will not be coming from the main panel. It will be attached to the grounding bar in the subpanel that is grounded by a separate grounding rod at the subpanel. The two panels will not be metallically bonded.

The wire running from the main panel would be isolated and insulated from the sub-panel box on the neutral bar. It is attached at the main panel to the common/neutral ground bar.

How is this any different from having a separate neutral running from the main panel? If the bare ground is pig-tailed to an insulated section of #10 wire at both ends, then why could it not serve as the neutral? It's insulated from beginning to end.

As long as the neutral and ground are isolated at the sub-panel, I can't see how this is any different than running 8-3 w/ ground to the subpanel since the ground is going to be essentially unused.

Last edited by Randell Tarin; 08-02-2012 at 08:07 PM.