Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |

New Well, Pump & Pressure Tank

Last fall I had to put in a new deep water well between two cabins that are a family summer place.

Because 24" deep trenches to both cabins were available, I extended the pump power line (dedicated circuit: UF 2x
#12 wG) from one cabin out to the pump and over to the other cabin. I thought it would be good to have a "pump power status light" in the other cabin to show that power was on to the pump -- it's just a little LED in a box. I also am not sure which cabin ultimately will supply power to the pump -- after some major remodeling. With cable coming to/from both cabins, I can change my mind later. There is no connection to the electrical system in the 2nd cabin.

But yesterday I came across a posted comment "the code prohibits multiple circuits going to outbuildings". Does my indicator light on the extension of the pump power cable to the 2nd cabin violate the code?

Thanks,
Daneel

Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #2

I don't know the "code" answer, but in this case I would say, who cares? Hardly a safety issue.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #3

You can run switch loops or switched lines for lights from the second building back to the first building but the power for these subcircuits should come from the second building.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #4

I have a 20A @ 240 VAC circuit going from the main panel in cabin #1 to an outside pressure switch for a submerged well pump (in a sheltered enclosure) and continuing on to a LED in a box in cabin #2. The sole purpose of the LED is to show that pump power is on. Cabin #2 has its own main panel.

I am planning to install a 2-LED indicator box in cabin #2 to show that septic system power is on. Septic power (two 20A @ 120 VAC circuits) will go from cabin #1 to a septic control panel (in a sheltered enclosure) and will continue on to the dual-LED box in cabin #2.

There is no connection between LED boxes and the main panel in cabin #2.

Just wanted to be sure this is copasetic with the code.

Thanks,
Daneel
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
well pump