Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Share |

New well pump install; pump won't start

Hi all,

I have installed a new well pump and when I throw the breaker, it won't turn on. Everything in the setup is new. Details as follows:

New sub-panel installed in new well shed. Sub-panel connects to pressure switch, pressure switch to control box, control box to submersible well pump. Below are the components and models.

Water Tank: Flex-lite FL 17

Specs: http://www.freshwatersystems.com/spe...-lite-spec.pdf

Pressure switch: Square D, Model 90312FSG-2 Series B.

Pump Motor: Franklin Model 2145079004S

Pump End: Franklin model 7LD05S4-PE

Control Box: Franklin model 2801074915

When I flip the breaker, I have verified power to the pressure switch and power to the control box. I have not tested Amps or Ohms etc. The pressure switch contacts are touching, but there is no 'click' from the control box signalling anything. I'm not sure how to test anything in the control box as it disconnects the connections when I pull the lid to look in it.

I'm at a loss as to how to test anything here. The only step I know of is to pull the pump, but I'd really like to confirm everything else I can before I try that.

As I stated earlier, everything is brand new and never had power to it until I threw the breaker.

Thanks in advance guys/gals, any info will be greatly appreciated!!

Chi_town

chi_town60608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

There are reset buttons on that control box which may be tripped out.

Check to ensure they are properly set.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
There are reset buttons on that control box which may be tripped out.

Check to ensure they are properly set.
I checked and there aren't any reset buttons on this model. But thanks for the suggestion. Kinda got my hopes up there for a second.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

If you have a multimeter, remove the red, yellow and black from the control box and read resistance from yellow to black. It should be somewhere around 4 Ohms. read between yellow and red, it should be around 13 Ohms. Also check any of the 3 leads to ground. This should be infinite resistance.

If these are not fairly close, the problem is in the motor or wiring to it. If they're all infinite resistance, check the splices at the top of the well casing.

Post back with the results; we'll lead you through more troubleshooting.

Rob

Last edited by micromind; 05-23-2013 at 08:37 PM.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

I read your posts twice and saw where you mentioned breaker and voltage to the switch, but didn't get specific. You're breaker is a 2 pole 230V breaker, right? You're measuring 230V at the line into the switch, out of the switch and into control, right?
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

The middle picture looks like it plugs into the bottom picture. Are you properly assembling this thing before testing?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

Did you hold the lever down on the pressure switch until the pump pressure built up?
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
The middle picture looks like it plugs into the bottom picture. Are you properly assembling this thing before testing?
Yes, the interior of the controller plugs into the slots above the connections.

I don't like that type of controller, it's not easy to test the terminals with it plugged in. Plus, I've seen more than one where the plug slots have burned up.

It looks like it's connected correctly.

I've seen instances where the motor cable going down the well to the motor wasn't spliced to the wire coming from the controller.

I've also seen 120 volts supplied to a 230 volt controller.

It's fairly rare, but I've also seen bad potential relays and bad capacitors in new controllers.

Given enough info, we'll help the OP get the pump to work.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Idiot Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Did you hold the lever down on the pressure switch until the pump pressure built up?
The OP stated that the pressure switch contacts were touching, and also stated that there was power to the control box.

That pressure switch doesn't appear to have a low pressure cut-out.

But you're right, if it does have a low pressure cut-out, the contacts must be held closed until pressure builds up a bit.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

There something you should check is what breaker you have in there ?

If you have two pole breaker you should getting power comming out of that breaker if so then go to the pressure switch and test that one to make sure you are getting power there at the pressure switch.

Either you should get full 240 volts line to line with voltage tester or a neon test light it will light up brighter on 240 volts vs 120 volts.

Becarefull when you do the testing on the breaker and pressure switch area.

For the rest of details on the control box for troble shooting Micromind cover that details very well.

Let us know how it come out and try to get a photo of the breaker box where ya got the pump hooked up at.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #11

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I'll try to answer all of your questions.

Quote:
If you have a multimeter, remove the red, yellow and black from the control box and read resistance from yellow to black. It should be somewhere around 4 Ohms. read between yellow and red, it should be around 13 Ohms. Also check any of the 3 leads to ground. This should be infinite resistance.
Does the power need to be on when I do this?

Quote:
I read your posts twice and saw where you mentioned breaker and voltage to the switch, but didn't get specific. You're breaker is a 2 pole 230V breaker, right? You're measuring 230V at the line into the switch, out of the switch and into control, right?
Yes, I have a double pole 20 amp breaker supplying the power.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
I don't see a lever, but the contacts are solidly touching each other.

I have tested the voltage to the two line contacts on the pressure switch and they are both getting 124-125 volts. Same goes for the two lines running FROM the pressure switch TO the control box. I used a test light last night and I have power at the well head going down the hole. Since it's a tester light, I can't say what the volts are or if each wire has power, but it does register power from the control box to the head down the well. Also, the run is a continuous run from the pump in the water to the control box. No splices in the wire. Of course there is a splice at the pump for the wire to control box and it's conveniently at the bottom of the well.

I'm afraid it's looking like I'm going to have to pull it. Not a big deal, just not the way I wanted to spend my Friday afternoon.

Again, thanks everyone for the help and I'm open for more suggestions.

chi_town
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

To checks ohms, power must be off.
Check voltage between the black and white on each contact, you should read 240 volts.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #13

I also think you need to pull the pump up and see whats wrong. Micromind (Rob) is the resident expert on motors and many other things. So listen to him.
One thing I notice here is the motor is 230 volt and you are saying you have 120.
This motor is straight 230 volts (see legend picture) and must have 230 volts to run.

DO NOT MEASURE THE VOLTAGE TO GROUND. MEASURE ACROSS THE TWO WIRES THAT FEED THE PUMP MOTOR. 230 VOLTS IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

Last edited by J. V.; 05-24-2013 at 10:32 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #14

I checked the voltage and it was 0 on one of the wires in the pressure switch. Checked it a few times and every once in while it was 125 and then dropped to 0 again. Checked the sub-panel and had the same results for the breaker on that wire. Checked the main panel and same results. I didn't get the wire in the clamp under the screw. It was under the clamp and I guess it wasn't making a good connection. Re-set it properly and checked and all were showing 125. Checked the voltage across the wires and it was 240. Wasn't a couple seconds and I heard the bladder snap inside and had pressure. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Chi_town
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chi_town60608 For This Useful Post:
jbfan (05-24-2013), micromind (05-24-2013), stickboy1375 (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I also think you need to pull the pump up and see whats wrong. Micromind (Rob) is the resident expert on motors and many other things. So listen to him.
One thing I notice here is the motor is 230 volt and you are saying you have 120.
This motor is straight 230 volts (see legend picture) and must have 230 volts to run.

DO NOT MEASURE THE VOLTAGE TO GROUND. MEASURE ACROSS THE TWO WIRES THAT FEED THE PUMP MOTOR. 230 VOLTS IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.
Good reminder for everyone.

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
J. V. (05-25-2013)