Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Share |

New washer/dryer in unfinished basement

Hello,

I recently purchased a new dryer and washer for my first home. The previous owner did have a washer hook up, but i am replacing it since it is not grounded. I am somewhat experienced running new circuits as i wired my whole kitchen, but i don't know how i should go about mounting both 120vac and 220vac outlets on the unfinished foundation wall to be code compliant. The breaker panel is about 20 feet from the dryer, so i was thinking about running two new circuits: 1) a 20 amp circuit dedicated for the washer using 3 conductor NM cable and 2) a 30 amp, 220v circuit for the dryer using 10/3g NM cable. I am planning on making a run alongside the sill plate until i am directly above the washer/dryer and then coming down 4 feet. I would like to mount the outlets above the appliances Do i need to use conduit for the 4 feet run from the sill plate to the outlet? What type of electrical box do i need to use to mount to the foundation?

thank you in advance for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
New washer/dryer in unfinished basement-washer4.jpg  

smithers76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Mount a 2x4 aprx 4 feet long on the wall, and then mount the boxes on that. Yes, you can use conduit to protect the romex from damage if you wish.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #3

Metal conduit is required for the 4' run down the foundation wall I believe. Feel free to run romex inside the conduit since its not a wet location. I would use metal junction boxes attached to the foundation wall with concrete anchors.

Last edited by kwilcox; 11-21-2011 at 09:39 PM.
kwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #4

A reminder of the forum rules: “Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on DIYChatroom.com. Name calling, personal attacks, or other inappropriate behavior will not be allowed and may cause your account to be banned.” http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/announcements/
Please keep on topic, thank you, Gary