Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

New wall oven has 4 wires wall has three

I took out the old 1963 house double wall oven out of the unit without looking how it was wired. I now have a new single oven that has 4 wires, reg black white and green. The old oven had the same 4 wires (as its still in my back yard) however the wall wires are black white and green earth. The trips are connected together in the box and 30 amp each. Am I OK connecting the whte and green together? That must have been how the old one was connected anyway. Is there a danger to this as it must be against new construction code. I will check the voltage on the wires in the morning as I forgot my meter today.

hobiecatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

You should verify the voltage on the new unit. Your old setup was 240 volt only.

With a two wire cable and the double pole breaker, both the black and white are hot. The white would not be connected to the green.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You should verify the voltage on the new unit. Your old setup was 240 volt only.

With a two wire cable and the double pole breaker, both the black and white are hot. The white would not be connected to the green.
wrap the white wire coming to the stove from panel with black tape so you know its powered and not a neutral.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

I have to make a couple of inferences from your opening. You mention that the wall wires are black white and earth green. I am presuming that there is one black, one white and one green. You also didn't mention if both the black and the white were hot. I am going to presume so. Given that, it looks like your oven was wired without a neutral. Pretty common once-upon-a-time. All new 240V appliances are wired for neutral now. You have a couple of choices. You should be able to go out and purchase a three pronged plug for your oven. If that is not the case, then I would suggest re-running the 240V live from the box. Instead of useing 8/3, you would use 8/4. I'm guessing on the 8 guage since you didn't identify the amperage draw of the oven. The guage would depend on the amperage.
unlvrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #5

You oven will have direction for installing a three prong cord to replace the four prong cord. The is likely a jumper inside that needs to be installed.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
liscenced electrician

replace the cord on your oven. Where the cord goes into the oven there will be a little access panel to get to everything. There should be a jumper you can install (or make your own with some copper wire) and hook the white wire (or rather where the white wire will hook up to) to the frame of the oven. Then just wire up your new cord . Then just plug it in to the existing receptacle.

This is only for existing installations. Code requires you to update the wiring to 4 wire if you ever open up the walls

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote