Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #1

Share |
Question

new thermostat

I want to put in a programable thermostat to replace my normal round one. My question is, it says for most 220volt systems. It looks like my oil furnace is 120v, but the central air seems to be 220. they both run off of the same thermostat. Is my system 120volts or 220 volts? I,m confused!
pappabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Master Craftsman

new thermostat

To make it simple, it is both. You are correct, the furnace fan will run on 110 volts and the condensor outside runs on 220 volts. But those don't matter as the thermostat is low voltage, more than likely 12 volts. When you pull the thermostatl off of the wall there will be some very small wires run to it. All you need to do is to note which color wire is run to which terminal. The terminals will have a color letter stamped on it and normally the correct wire color is run to the correct color stamped screw. Beside the screws will be a r for red, w for white and so forth. If the same color is on the right screw all you need to do is transfer from one thermostat to the other. However in some circumstances they will put the wrong color wire on the wrong screw so note which color wire is to which color stamped screw and move that wire to the same screw on the new thermostat.

Hope this helps. You might want to wait for some other answers though.

Dave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
World famous jerk.

new thermostat

What for kind of goofy stat did you get? Please post the model and manufacturer.

HVAC thermostats are 24 volt, with the exception of baseboard heating thermostats. They are 120 or 240.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #4

new thermostat

My mistake! I didn't buy one yet, but downloaded the manual. I thought it read 120 or220 instead it said 24 volts.
pappabear is offline   Reply With Quote