New T5 Ballast Causing Blinking - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New T5 Ballast causing Blinking

Hello,

Just joined this forum so I could ask this specific question (after being redirected from the electricaltalk.com forum). Recently a ballast in our office's T5 lights (paired) burned out, so they had me (the knew guy) order a new ballast and replace it. The light was using the Advance REZ-2S54 ballast, but our local lighting company could only get us the equivelent Sylvania QHE 2x54T5HO/ UNV PSN.

I took out the lights (which worked just fine in another fixture), took out the Ballast case, removed the old Advance ballast and wired in the new Sylvania Ballast exactly like the old (which was slightly different than what the new wiring diagram showed), replaced the lights, turned power on and the Ballast was humming quietly and the lights were blinking on and off, at a rate of about one cycle per second.

So I turned everything off, took everything out, switched the yellow wires to match what was shown in the diagram, re-installed everything, and the blinking problem is back, identical to before.

So I come here begging for any possible insight as to what the issues could be. I found plenty of troubleshooting guides on if old ballasts have this issue, but found nothing on brand new ballasts doing this. So I ask for your help. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

gray0239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Is the power to the ballast going on and off? (Measure with analog voltmeter.)

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,570

The ballast must be wired as the drawing on the ballast not as the old one.

Is the ballast the correct voltage to match the incoming line voltage?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have other question to ask you due I read the ballast label and it got my attetion and do you have a dimmer switch in there or just a conventail on/ off switch ??

BTW this set up is not a instat start more like what it called programmed start aka controlled rapid start.

And this oringal ballast which I read it was set up for 120 volts and you will need a voltmeter to verify that you get a true 120 volts.

Also with new ballast which you posted that model if you have a dimmer this will NOT work very well.

Merci,
Marc