DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   New Sub Panel for Garage... (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/new-sub-panel-garage-124312/)

Nacho78 11-22-2011 02:38 PM

New Sub Panel for Garage...
 
Hello Everyone, i'm new on the forum. Short story, bought my house last year and want to add electricity to my garage which is located 90ft from my home. From what I was seeing I have a square D main panel in my house. I recently purchased a murray 125amp, 8 space, 16 circuit indoor nema type 1 panel.

I mainly want electricity for a millermatic 211 Auto-Set with MVP mig welder with the following specs:
Input Power
230 V, 25 A, 60 Hz, 1-Phase
120 V, 20 A, 60 Hz, 1-Phase

My main panel looks like this:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c.../MainPanel.jpg

My second (sub) panel looks like this:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/SubPanel.jpg

Anyway, I was told to run the following:
Feed Sub panel with a 60 amp 2 pole breaker & 6/3 wg Cable (another electrician stated 6/2 wg cable).
Use a 30 amp 2 pole breaker using 8/3 cable for the welder receptacle.

For the lights I will be using 14/2 cable with 15 amp and for the receptacles I will be using 12/2 cable with 20 amp (this I have done before as I added lighting and receptacles to my home already).

Now, I went to homedepot and noticed that they sell a 6/3 wg cable ($215) and a 6/2 wg cable ($148). What's the difference between both other than the price and also what's the difference between 8/3 and 8/2 cable?

Sorry for the long story, I want this to be my weekend project. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help guys... I'll be posting progress pictures.

Jim Port 11-22-2011 04:08 PM

A cable sold as xx-2 has two conductors, a black and a white along with a ground. A xx-3 cable adds an insulated red in addition to the black, white and ground.

The XX represents the wire gauge or size.

Nacho78 11-22-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 777029)
A cable sold as xx-2 has two conductors, a black and a white along with a ground. A xx-3 cable adds an insulated red in addition to the black, white and ground.

The XX represents the wire gauge or size.

So which would be best to install in your opinion? 6/2 or 6/3?

jbfan 11-22-2011 05:32 PM

With 6/2 you will get 120v, or 240 without a neutral.
6/3 will give you 240/120v.

I would use conduit and individual conductors instead of cable.

You will also needs ground rods and a disconnect for the garage.

Missouri Bound 11-22-2011 05:34 PM

Since you need to run a ground from the main panel as well, you will need 4 wires. Perhaps you should consider burying conduit and runnning indvidual wires. This would give you more circuit protection and the ability to upgrade if and when your needs change.

Nacho78 11-22-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 777073)
With 6/2 you will get 120v, or 240 without a neutral.
6/3 will give you 240/120v.

I would use conduit and individual conductors instead of cable.

You will also needs ground rods and a disconnect for the garage.

Awesome thanks

Nacho78 11-22-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 777076)
Since you need to run a ground from the main panel as well, you will need 4 wires. Perhaps you should consider burying conduit and runnning indvidual wires. This would give you more circuit protection and the ability to upgrade if and when your needs change.

So basically run 3 6 gauge wires from the main to the sub instead of 6-3?

jbfan 11-22-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacho78 (Post 777094)
So basically run 3 6 gauge wires from the main to the sub instead of 6-3?

And a #10 ground wire.

Nacho78 11-22-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 777109)
And a #10 ground wire.

Cool thank you what'll happen if I run a #6 ground?

Also I this the cable to buy if I go with this option?
6 gauge stranded THHN cable?

Missouri Bound 11-22-2011 08:17 PM

You could run #6....but a #10 or #8 is all that is required....and you will need a THWN. Any wiring used underground, in conduit or not, must be marked as for use in wet locations.

Nacho78 11-22-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 777209)
You could run #6....but a #10 or #8 is all that is required....and you will need a THWN. Any wiring used underground, in conduit or not, must be marked as for use in wet locations.

Awesome thanks!

SD515 11-23-2011 07:23 AM

If you're going to pull separate #6 wires through conduit, the neutral has to be white (can't use black and re-mark it) and the ground has to be green or bare. You'll also need a couple ground rods for the detached building.

Nacho78 11-24-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD515 (Post 777406)
If you're going to pull separate #6 wires through conduit, the neutral has to be white (can't use black and re-mark it) and the ground has to be green or bare. You'll also need a couple ground rods for the detached building.

sweet thank you very much... I think i'm going to go with 6-3 to make it easier lol...

Techy 11-24-2011 07:04 PM

you're not allowed to use type NM(romex) underground, it must be type UF cable

Nacho78 12-15-2011 10:11 PM

alright guys, question... i'm going to go buy the cable tomorrow, can I use this one? I was reading that thhn can be used as thwn nowadays.

This link is the one i'm thinking of buying:
Southwire 500 ft. Black 6-Gauge Stranded THHN Cable
For use in wet or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 194 degrees Fahrenheit (90 degrees Celsius) or not to exceed 167 degrees Fahrenheit (75 degrees Celsius) when exposed to oil or coolant

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...kuId=202895699

Thanks for the help, all of you have been very helpful.

Nacho


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved