DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New to the site, same old ceiling fan trouble.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Big Top Gt 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. My name's Alan and I just registered. :)

I'm in the middle of a ceiling fan install and the one I took down worked fine off one switch.

I've got two switches in the room so I followed the included instructions to hook up the fan. I hooked Green to bare wire, Red to black w/white stripe, white to white, and black to black.

Now, the fan runs non-stop and the wall switches won't shut the fan off. (Nor do they turn the light on.)

Prior to removal of the old fan, the one lighted switch worked perfectly, but the switch next to it never did anything. (I couldn't even figure out how to get the lighted switch feature to work properly on the second switch.)

Here's the switch box:

Ceiling:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Do both switches on the wall go up to the ceiling box where the fan is hanging? Just because you have two switches on the wall, does not mean they are both for the fan or light in the ceiling. One switch may control a receptacle. (The mystery switch)?

You need 3 wires in the ceiling box for seperate fan and light control. One wire for the fan (Black) one for the light (Blue) and a white for both. Do you have three wires coming from the switch up to the fan? The white can be located in the ceiling box and not in the switch box.
The fan hooks up just like the fixture did before. You did write down how the light was connected before you started removing wire nuts, right?

#3 ·
You're exactly right; I assumed that two switches meant they were both for the fan/light fixture.

It turns out, one is for the fan and the other is for a wall outlet.

The funny thing is I'm a 35 year old guy with three kids and I STILL have to call my father to be set straight.

The old man had me break out my meter and track down which wire went to which switch. :thumbsup:

I now have a fan that works off the chain no matter what's going on with the switch and the switch itself only works the light.

Interestingly, the lights on the switches themselves only work when the light is in the "on" position on the fan itself. The switch that works the outlet only illuminates when something is plugged into it.

Thanks for the help. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.