Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #1

Share |

New service Help (Meter can/ service mast Conduit help)

New here but after reading a few sections of the national electrical code and flipping through lots of books and looking online I need info on conduit. But first a story.

To the point.

There is a over head service drop to my house

My house has unfinished basement.

From where The weather head should be to the main panel / disconnect the service cable is not In any type of conduit.

The service cable is ran down wood siding NOT FASTENED TO THE HOUSE OR SIDING then in to the meter box.

The service cable leaves the meter box running down wood siding ( not fastened) in to a hole that was drilled In the wood right before The Block foundation, In to the basement .

The service cable goes in to the box NOT CLAMPED. Note this a fuse box that is piggy backed to a breaker box (AT lugs).

Now the meter box and main panel are back to back on same wall.
This is a mess. I had romex just strung across the basement not fastened just drooping. The Romex that was not drooping WAS SUPPORTING PIPES!
The fuse box and Breaker box are rusted missing covers and about to fall of wall.

First thing is first I supported pipes with real pipe supports then unwrapped romex from pipe. Then I fastened all romex in basement to floor joist.

Now My goal is to fix all this. Obviously I should not trust the wiring in the house (all 7 receptacle it has) so I plan to run new circuits with a new main all to code, using running board, GFCI Sockets, dedicated circuits, 20 amp for bathroom , blah... So now I Have it all planed out I'm ready to get started BUT I have an issue.

I need a new service installed. I plan on a 100 amp box all I need. I use gas heat / water heater. I called and got codes from poco. From weather head down to top of meter understand. wiring the meter box I can do.

What do I use for conduit from Meter box To main? (schedule 80?) ( Is there something better to use)

Is it okay to go through the wood near foundation to get to the main?

Also do I need to use any type of sealant On top of meter box where the ridged meets the flange?

Any Info on the service mast / conduit to main box will be a big help as i cant find any info on this.

Thanks
Cwolford.

Last edited by cwolford; 03-13-2011 at 03:17 AM.
cwolford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

An important distinction is whether you need a mast or just a service riser. A mast typically extends thru the roofline and anchors the power company triplex. A service riser is just a way for the conductors to reach the meter socket. You might even be able to use type SE cable instead of a conduit.

You need to find out if your power company even allows entry into the top of the socket. Your provider should have a design manual that will have the rules regarding mast anchoring and entry placement etc.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

In that case, its a service riser. It can go in to the top of the meter can. the meter can has to be 6' from grade. the riser has to run 10' from top of can (a total of 16' 10+6) with 1 1/2 "Hw". I need 18" min tails and 2-2-4 cu.

I'm just a bit lacking on info for the conduit. Thank you for the info about service riser vs mast.
What is "Hw" conduit?
should I contact them about this "The service cable leaves the meter box running down wood siding ( not fastened) in to a hole that was drilled In the wood right before The Block foundation, In to the basement ." because on this poorly drawn manual they do not have service cables exiting meter box under it. I assume the cable leave the meter can via the back on the drawing.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

The HW is probably for heavy-wall or rigid metal conduit.

If you add your location to your profile it helps greatly.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #5

Metropolis illinois
Old 03-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Scared Electrician

I would up size my pipe to 2in RGC(rigid).(i think its cheaper) run down to the big box and grab a ten footer

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

Coming out of the back of the socket may make it hard to get the cable into the basement. I also doubt that doing so would keep the cable "as short as pratical" as required by the code.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #8

so I can use pvc they said when I called them. Now if I use 1 1/2 " pvc with male adapter into meter Do i need a locknut? if yes does it have to be plastic or can it be metal. I know I need the bushing.
When exiting the meter box do i use the same setup?

I can use single cu wire in the riser and to the main. so can I use the cu wire with insulation for neutral or do I need to find bare cu wire for the neutral?

Grounding I know it has to be one sold piece but to where? to the meter and main?. they require me to ground to the meter. so if when I do I am still required to at the Main aka the breaker panel right. I just run the ground to the meter and then from the other screw terminal run it to the main? or would i run it continuously to the main then from the main to the box?

Thanks

Also they said for wire i could use 4-4-4 Cu for 100 amp does this seem right? I thought neutral was different AWG then the rest. IS there a benefit to using cu over AL for service?

Last edited by cwolford; 03-20-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #9

bump bump
Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #10

You need 1 1/2pvc weather head, 1 1/2 pvc straps, 1 1/2 meter pan hub, 1 1/2 male ta, 1 1/2 offset nipple, 1 1/2 sill plate and of course 1 1/2 sch 80 pvc. Go from weatherhead to meter hub. Then from the bottom of the meter pan, use the offset nipple to end up right at the top of the hole where the wire went in. You are going to use the sill plate and some duct seal to cover it up after. Depending on how far the meter is from the panel (which u say its back to back), get some #4 seu (for 100amp service) and I believe a 1" romex connector should fit that.
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #11

Also, as far as the grounding. Get a ground rod and sink that into the earth by the meter pan. And ur going to need water main clamps...one on the street side of meter/valve and one on the house side. The water main ground must be continuous. And #6awg. The ground rod must go from panel to rod...also #6awg
Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #12

Water main is #4
jerseystyle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #13

#4 for 200amp...not 100amp
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #14

True true I thought it was a 200 service he was talking about.

jerseystyle26 is offline   Reply With Quote