Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
Share |

New Service for Barn???

Hello All:
I want to put new service at my barn which is more than 350ft away from my main house power. So instead of killing myself trenching and burying etc.. I want to just install a new service setup at my barn with its own meter.

Now the electrical company is going to put a transformer up and will run the line to my weatherhead. No Problem there.

I have had 2 electricians come out to bid the work and both of them have told me two different things, so I will tell you what I told them and see what answer I get from the pros here.

The barn will basically be powering the following items

1 240v Compressor
1 240v Lincoln Stick Welder
2 Security Lights
8 4ft Flourescent Lights
6-10 110v Power Outlets
Also would like the ability to add on later if need be.

Now I know it requires 200 amp service here in my area. No problem there,
But one electrician said I need a 3 phase socket the other said a single phase will be just fine. I know nothing about electricity so I ask you for help! I ask because I am going to buy all of the stuff for the electrician but I do not want to spend uneccessary money.

So if you can be as detailed as possible that would be great.

I already have a 200amp disconnect box (was told I didnt need this because the socket will be mounted on my barn and can run straight to the inside breaker panel through the wall)

I also have a meter socket with pole and weatherhead, but the label is faded out and there are no markings on it to tell me if it is a 125A or 200A. (Is there a way to tell?)

Will I need a 200A breaker panel inside or will a 125A be sufficient?

I am sure there is something else I am forgetting. I hope somebody can help me. Thanks in advance

JDTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2

New Service for Barn???

I guess nobody can help me with my questions?

JDTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor
jbfan's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,730

New Service for Barn???

3 phase is not required, and unless yoou live in an industral area, may not be avaible.

The model # on the meter socket will tell you if it is 200 amps.

Does your area require 200 amp min. for a residence?
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor
kbsparky's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,368

New Service for Barn???

Is that compressor a 3-phase unit? How many HP is it?

That will have to be answered first before determining whether you need single or 3 phase service.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
electures (06-15-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician
frenchelectrican's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369

New Service for Barn???

And it will depending on the POCO requriement and very few case you may get lucky if you have three phase primary right front of ya. { most case gernally not and it can get pretty expensive to bring out unless you have very large load demand then it can be justifed }

1 240v Compressor
1 240v Lincoln Stick Welder
2 Security Lights
8 4ft Flourescent Lights
6-10 110v Power Outlets
Also would like the ability to add on later if need be.
For the compressour as KBsparky mention the size and voltage requirement

For the stick welder most use 50 amp circuit { single phase is most common unless wire feed welder then it will be mixed bag }

Security luminaire most case useally have either 100 or 150 W HPS { few case super compact flourscent or old school MV ( they are no longer avabile ) }

4 footer is very common typically either 32 or 40 watts depending on if T12 or T8 BTW I rather use the T8 you get more light per watts over old school T12 is. { and of course we have to add ballast loss so go by ballast label for exact amparage it draw }

For genral purpose 120 volt receptales you may need at least 2 maybe 3 circuits and it have to be GFCI there is no extempts on this at all. ( can be on GFCI receptale or GFCI breaker )

If the air compressour is single phase and it draw 30 amp or less and the rest of the items you listed that is more than enough for single phase supply { 200 amp size } the only time you will have to worry if you have very large compressour or other large motour load that will change the figures.

( Just a head up some POCO may have maxuim amount of motour load for specfic transfomer size so if they give you a small transfomer and you install very large motour something like 10 or 15 HP single phase they will change to larger transfomer to handle the motour starting surge )

The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eighty Four, Pa.15330
Posts: 1,236

New Service for Barn???

The power company willing to put up"a" xfmr,sez to me 1 . A 200 amp would be all I would bid.

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New service Help (Meter can/ service mast Conduit help) cwolford Electrical 13 03-26-2011 07:55 PM
Wiring Size Calculations for New Service CorinthWest Electrical 7 12-07-2010 11:36 AM
Service mast options bsperr Electrical 6 12-09-2009 08:48 AM
Remodel - Moving from 200 amp service to 320 amps stevedar Electrical 20 11-29-2009 08:14 PM
Grounding for two service entrances to same house. jogr Electrical 18 09-24-2008 10:31 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.