DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   New Service for Barn??? (

JDTRanch 06-14-2011 04:21 PM

New Service for Barn???
Hello All:
I want to put new service at my barn which is more than 350ft away from my main house power. So instead of killing myself trenching and burying etc.. I want to just install a new service setup at my barn with its own meter.

Now the electrical company is going to put a transformer up and will run the line to my weatherhead. No Problem there.

I have had 2 electricians come out to bid the work and both of them have told me two different things, so I will tell you what I told them and see what answer I get from the pros here.

The barn will basically be powering the following items

1 240v Compressor
1 240v Lincoln Stick Welder
2 Security Lights
8 4ft Flourescent Lights
6-10 110v Power Outlets
Also would like the ability to add on later if need be.

Now I know it requires 200 amp service here in my area. No problem there,
But one electrician said I need a 3 phase socket the other said a single phase will be just fine. I know nothing about electricity so I ask you for help! I ask because I am going to buy all of the stuff for the electrician but I do not want to spend uneccessary money.

So if you can be as detailed as possible that would be great.

I already have a 200amp disconnect box (was told I didnt need this because the socket will be mounted on my barn and can run straight to the inside breaker panel through the wall)

I also have a meter socket with pole and weatherhead, but the label is faded out and there are no markings on it to tell me if it is a 125A or 200A. (Is there a way to tell?)

Will I need a 200A breaker panel inside or will a 125A be sufficient?

I am sure there is something else I am forgetting. I hope somebody can help me. Thanks in advance

JDTRanch 06-15-2011 03:45 PM

I guess nobody can help me with my questions?

jbfan 06-15-2011 04:14 PM

3 phase is not required, and unless yoou live in an industral area, may not be avaible.

The model # on the meter socket will tell you if it is 200 amps.

Does your area require 200 amp min. for a residence?

kbsparky 06-15-2011 06:55 PM

Is that compressor a 3-phase unit? How many HP is it?

That will have to be answered first before determining whether you need single or 3 phase service.

frenchelectrican 06-16-2011 03:01 AM

And it will depending on the POCO requriement and very few case you may get lucky if you have three phase primary right front of ya. { most case gernally not and it can get pretty expensive to bring out unless you have very large load demand then it can be justifed }


1 240v Compressor
1 240v Lincoln Stick Welder
2 Security Lights
8 4ft Flourescent Lights
6-10 110v Power Outlets
Also would like the ability to add on later if need be.

For the compressour as KBsparky mention the size and voltage requirement

For the stick welder most use 50 amp circuit { single phase is most common unless wire feed welder then it will be mixed bag }

Security luminaire most case useally have either 100 or 150 W HPS { few case super compact flourscent or old school MV ( they are no longer avabile ) }

4 footer is very common typically either 32 or 40 watts depending on if T12 or T8 BTW I rather use the T8 you get more light per watts over old school T12 is. { and of course we have to add ballast loss so go by ballast label for exact amparage it draw }

For genral purpose 120 volt receptales you may need at least 2 maybe 3 circuits and it have to be GFCI there is no extempts on this at all. ( can be on GFCI receptale or GFCI breaker )

If the air compressour is single phase and it draw 30 amp or less and the rest of the items you listed that is more than enough for single phase supply { 200 amp size } the only time you will have to worry if you have very large compressour or other large motour load that will change the figures.

( Just a head up some POCO may have maxuim amount of motour load for specfic transfomer size so if they give you a small transfomer and you install very large motour something like 10 or 15 HP single phase they will change to larger transfomer to handle the motour starting surge )


bobelectric 06-16-2011 03:30 AM

The power company willing to put up"a" xfmr,sez to me 1 . A 200 amp would be all I would bid.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1