Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Share |

New romex and older fabric cable

Is the black coloured cable an older cable? I have a very old fluorescent light fixture that has romex coming in and older fabric cable coming out and going on to the next load. The fabric looks old and I'm wondering if it's ok to use this as I'd like to take down the fluorescent fixture and replace it with something else, while still using the old fabric cable (as it's a middle of the circuit fixture as far as I can tell).

RocketGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #2

You are correct, the braded/fabric wire is older. As long as the fabric is still in good shape and there is no exposed copper, the wire itself is safe to use. The only difference is most likely that the fabric wire doesn't have a ground wire, which for lights isn't the most concerning.

diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

The Black fabric covered Romex dates from the 40's, and actually contained Asbestos in the cloth. Even the old Aluminum came with the Cloth jacket over the two wires. Do you know if you are dealing with Copper or Aluminum for this wire?

The old BX for my back porch light, I had to use Romex jacket over it, since the weather is starting to dry out the Rubber and the cloth is also starting to dry out, and show age. It is of course one of those things I cannot do, until we rip down that GypRock in my back entry, to remove and update to modern day Romex.

Old wiring will last forever, as long as you do not over heat it, or allow weather to get to it, if on outdoor fixtures. But still do not want to have it in a circuit after it has reached its prime age, since it will start causing circuit faults, once the jacket that covers the actual conductors, wears out, or deteriorates.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 08-17-2013 at 11:03 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-17-2013), RocketGal (08-18-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Electrical Enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it appears to be in good condition, as others have described.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGal View Post
Is the black coloured cable an older cable? I have a very old fluorescent light fixture that has romex coming in and older fabric cable coming out and going on to the next load. The fabric looks old and I'm wondering if it's ok to use this as I'd like to take down the fluorescent fixture and replace it with something else, while still using the old fabric cable (as it's a middle of the circuit fixture as far as I can tell).
You may end up get a old work ceiling box for this due pretty good percentage of surface mounted flourscent luminaires genrally do not have junction box above so expect that going to be happend.

However there is one more step if you are thinking about ceiling fan then you will have to buy a old work ceiling fan kit which they will come with brace or screw inside which it can hit the joint. ( I will not bother with pancake box in your situation due you have two cables that pretty much deal breaker on this one due there is not much room at all )

Bon Chance.

Merci,
Marc