New Recessed Light Is Killing Bulbs - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via ICQ to nebben Send a message via AIM to nebben Send a message via MSN to nebben Send a message via Yahoo to nebben
Question

New recessed light is killing bulbs

Last week, we switched out an old hanging ceiling fixture with a recessed light. It is a 5" IC rated (model H5RICAT from Home Depot) fixture with the matching trim labeled for the unit. The light is connected to a couple three way switches that have not been unplugged or modified during the change.

I have an 8pack of fluorescent twist lights that are 14W. They're small lights and I have been using in the other 5" cans that were installed by a previous owner some time ago. I haven't had any bulbs in the pack die yet, except for the two that went into this can.

We noticed that after perhaps 5 hours of use, give or take a couple hours, the light that was supposed to be on was off. Flipping both switches didn't help. I switched the bulb to another fixture and thought I had a bad apple. I put an incandescent 60W in the new can to test- looks OK. I put another 14W fluorescent from the same pack into the can and thought all was well.

Yesterday, my girlfriend noticed that the light began to flicker, so she switched it off. Now, that bulb is dead. It couldn't have been on for more than three hours at the time, and it had only seen maybe 10 hours of use in the new can yet.

I noticed a warning printed on the ballast of a dimmable fluorescent bulb at Lowes a warning that roughly said "do not install into sealed recessed fixtures." !? So fluorescent floods that are *not* to be installed into a can like this? I also read the label in the H5RICAT a little closer, and saw something along the lines of "if bulb blinks, it may be a result of improper wattage of bulb type."

May the thermal sensor in the can kill the fluorescent bulb at some point? Does it sound like a defective can? I've found no warnings or information suggesting not to use fluorescent bulbs in these fixtures.

Advertisement

Last edited by nebben; 01-29-2007 at 02:53 PM.
nebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Try one of the bulbs that went bad in another fixture and see if your problem is in the lamp or the fixture.

Advertisement

jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via ICQ to nebben Send a message via AIM to nebben Send a message via MSN to nebben Send a message via Yahoo to nebben

It turned out to be some bad combination of those bulbs and that fixture. I put in a fluorescent flood that has worked great every day since. Thanks for the tips!
nebben is offline   Reply With Quote