DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Range Wiring

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jrclen 
#1 ·
We're about to remodel our kitchen and want to swap out the separate electrical cooktop and electric wall oven with a free-standing dual fuel range. The new range states that a dedicated circuit with a 40A breaker and #8 wire is required. The existing cooktop and oven are wired with separate 2-30A ganged circuit breakers each with #10 red and black wire. I want to avoid pulling new #8 wire if at all possible due to limited access. Is it possible to rewire the four (2 x 2-30) circuits into a single 40A circuit and hardwire it into the new range? If not, any other suggestions short of pulling new wire? Thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks for the good advice but it looks like it is a moot point. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the solid wire conductors inside the exising BX attached to the electric rangetop looked larger than the ones connected to the electric oven even though they both were hooked to identical 30A breakers. I measured them both: the oven was .10 dia (#10) and the range was .13 dia (#8). I guess when I had the panel upgraded 5 years ago, the electrician didn't have/was to cheap to install 40A breakers for the rangetop circuit leading to my initial dilemma.
Since the new range calls for a dedicated 220V/40A/#8circuit, all I need to do is swap out the 30A breakers for 40's plus it leaves me with the remaining two #10 circuits to use for as new dedicated microwave and dishwasher circuits. What's the best way to verify that the old BX is grounded?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.