DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New porch light

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CB-PDX 
#1 ·
I am rewiring my 1914 house and am moving the porchlight so that it is next to the front door instead of overhead. The porch is about 8 feet deep and the light will be high enough that even in the horizontal rain I get at times the area will remain dry. The porch light I bought is wet location rated.

The question and problem I am having is installing a new box for the light. A typical old work ceiling box installed in the wall would be too wide (you would be able to see the blue box around the lights mounting plate). I found a smaller old work box that should work, but I don't know what I have to do to make this weather proof. Or, do I have to make it weather proof since it is on a porch and not directly in the elements?

I bought some rubber gasket material I was thinking of cutting to fit but there would not be anything pressing down against the elec. box to make a tight seal (the mounting plate would sit over/covering the box).
Any suggestions/advice? I do not want to mount a big ugly outdoor box and then have the light sitting on top of that. I want the light to sit nice and flush with the cedar siding.

Did that explaination make sense?
Thanks!
-
Chris-

See less See more
#2 ·
I would try getting a block cut out of a peice of 2x6 cedar cut bigger than the base of the light. Cut the existing cedar siding out so the board will recess into it. Legally you can use a standard old work box to mount the light instead of the round ones. As long as its on the wall. That should solve your problem and it would look rather nice to boot.
:)

#3 ·
I've lived on Albemarle Sound in coastal NC for 29 years with four wall-mounted outside light fixtures on our porches.
They have caught hurricanes, nor'easter's and you name it without any problems, and all that I did was put a light bead of clear silicone caulk around the top and sides of the fixture bases right against our cypress "barn board" exterior (not the bottom, which needs to be open to drain condensation). Works for me, and it's easy.
Good luck!
Mike

#5 ·
Thanks.
I did end up cutting through the siding, installing a piece of fir (to be painted to match) to use as a mounting plate, and then cut throught hat and the sheathing to install a smaller box I found. I simply used the ears to attach to the mounting plate.
I want to paint before installing the light (with some clear caulk as a sealant - thanks Mike) but will have to wait as I woke up to 3" of snow this morning. Nice surprise.
In the process also noticed the exterior outlet on the frontporch is not GFCI protected so will have to add that to the list...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.