New Pool Pump Fried Electric Plug And Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New pool pump fried electric plug and outlet

Not sure if I should post this In the plumbing forum or here, so I'm doing both!

We just had our in-ground pool pump rebuilt a week or so ago by our normal pool tech. Since then, we noticed a leak which our pool tech fixed by replacing some pipes and valves. Everything worked a few hours, until we noticed the water wasn't circulating anymore. Went into the shed and found a melted plug and outlet.

My gut tells me the rebuilt pump was the start of the pipes failing, the leak and finally, the electric problem.

What are your thoughts here? I'd like to identify if this was the pool tech's fault so he fixes it and doesn't charge me another arm and a leg. If this is a stroke of bad luck, that's ok too, I will be more that happy to pay for the work to fix it... that is fair. However, we already spent $900+ already and things continue to fail...

He did mention he gave us a more powerful pump, but we did notice some parts looked used?!

Advertisement

Last edited by tukka; 06-17-2014 at 09:20 PM.
tukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,522

Sorry, we don't allow duplicate threads. I removed the one in plumbing forum.

Site Moderator.

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,348

Sounds like the outlet is on a 15 amp rated circuit when it should be at least a 20 amp rated with gfi protection. Can you post a pic of the fried cord and outlet so the electrians can better assist you? Thanks.

He should of at least checked the amprage of the circuit if he gave you a more powerful pump to make sure the line could handle it.

You may have a couple electrical issues going on here. I don't know if it would be his fault, as he is a pool tech not an electrician, so he assumes everything is wired correctly and to code. Please wait for the certified electrians to respond, they see this kind of stuff every day. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 06-17-2014 at 09:47 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 608

Could be a bunch of different things.
Under sized wiring, no in use cover over outlet, loose wiring causing over load, 220 volt pump being run with one leg causing an over load. ECT.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukka View Post
Not sure if I should post this In the plumbing forum or here, so I'm doing both!

We just had our in-ground pool pump rebuilt a week or so ago by our normal pool tech. Since then, we noticed a leak which our pool tech fixed by replacing some pipes and valves. Everything worked a few hours, until we noticed the water wasn't circulating anymore. Went into the shed and found a melted plug and outlet.

My gut tells me the rebuilt pump was the start of the pipes failing, the leak and finally, the electric problem.

What are your thoughts here? I'd like to identify if this was the pool tech's fault so he fixes it and doesn't charge me another arm and a leg. If this is a stroke of bad luck, that's ok too, I will be more that happy to pay for the work to fix it... that is fair. However, we already spent $900+ already and things continue to fail...

He did mention he gave us a more powerful pump, but we did notice some parts looked used?!
Was he going to save you money with the rebuilt, which sounded great at the time?, But now..

I think when it comes to the "electrical" aspect of your pool you should get an electrician not a pool tech.

About the leaks.
Bring it up to the pool tech., tell him your doubts and concerns and fix your pool with him or get someone else.
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
Was he going to save you money with the rebuilt, which sounded great at the time?, But now..

I think when it comes to the "electrical" aspect of your pool you should get an electrician not a pool tech.

About the leaks.
Bring it up to the pool tech., tell him your doubts and concerns and fix your pool with him or get someone else.
Look, I would have gladly paid to have it done right. We trusted him as the expert, since this is our first pool. I'll turn it over to our electrician now.
The Following User Says Thank You to tukka For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,452

Wanted to mention. This is a do it yourself forum

Are you doing something yourself ?

Or trying to get some ammo to use against the pool guy ?

Just wondering
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Sounds like the outlet is on a 15 amp rated circuit when it should be at least a 20 amp rated with gfi protection. Can you post a pic of the fried cord and outlet so the electrians can better assist you? Thanks.

He should of at least checked the amprage of the circuit if he gave you a more powerful pump to make sure the line could handle it.

You may have a couple electrical issues going on here. I don't know if it would be his fault, as he is a pool tech not an electrician, so he assumes everything is wired correctly and to code. Please wait for the certified electrians to respond, they see this kind of stuff every day. Thanks.
This makes sense. Here is a pic of the outlet. I'll post the cord in a sec.
Attached Thumbnails
New pool pump fried electric plug and outlet-image.jpg  
jmon (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #9

Here is the plug
Attached Thumbnails
New pool pump fried electric plug and outlet-image.jpg  
jmon (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 608

Need to look at the incoming wire gauge.
Is that outlet exposed to the outside?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #11

The outlet is enclosed in a pool house/shed. I can post more pics tomorrow when the sun comes back up. Are their any other images or details you need? I'll try to capture them in one shot.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 141

Both the top and bottom show signs of excessive heat and the blade on the plug is the neutral thats burned by a loose connection. That is only a 15 amp plug, whats the amp rating on the pump, That recep should have been thrown away a long time ago
Jnaas2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,492

Melted plug is caused by poor connection which creates heat. I doubt this has anything to do with a rebuild or the circuit size. If the circuit was the wrong size the breaker would be tripping.
The receptacle, the plug or the connections in either one are the likely cause of the melted plug issue.
jmon (06-18-2014), stickboy1375 (06-18-2014), Stubbie (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #14
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,058

What is the amperage of the pump motor? (FLA, Full Load Amps, not SFA Service Factor Amps). Likely anywhere from 5 to 20.

Also what if the gauge of the cord? (14/3, 16/3, ect.).

If it's 16/3 and the motor is more than 10 amps, it would very likely cause that sort of a melt even with a good receptacle.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #15
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind
What is the amperage of the pump motor? (FLA, Full Load Amps, not SFA Service Factor Amps). Likely anywhere from 5 to 20. Also what if the gauge of the cord? (14/3, 16/3, ect.). If it's 16/3 and the motor is more than 10 amps, it would very likely cause that sort of a melt even with a good receptacle.
As a side note, you would have to use a cord with #12 awg grounding conductor to meet code. Unless it was a factory cord installed by the manufacture. Also, that cord can be no longer than 3' in length.

Advertisement

Last edited by stickboy1375; 06-18-2014 at 06:22 AM.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote