Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Share |

New Panel Install and Stove not working

Install and New Federal Pioneer panel yesterday @ Friends residence Yesterday and stove not working now. The stove work fine before the new install. After the new install I ended up with a severe migrane due to the hot work lamp and did not have much time to do a complete check of house to see if all was ok(basically the Wall board heaters). Although my buddy done some checks and and said all was fine except the stove. Before leaving I did a quick check on the breaker( was getting 120v per side), Check the stove plugin on wall (Getting 120v per side) then check the Stove block ( and still getting 120v per side) . I re-check the breaker for a solid connection, re connected the the hots and re-check the neutral. All getting the proper voltage.

Regarding the Stove, the four coil burner dont work nor neither do the pilot lights, the stove pilotlight works and the top oven element works ok. That all I had time to check as my migrane was 2 bars short of a f5 Heading back over now to re-chk and trouble shoot. Just a perplexing question to ponder over.

**FYE**

**FYE** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

I take it that you are in Canada. If you are not licensed to do the work, or the OP did not pull permit, there could be a problem. As for why it is not working, have them call an electrician if you are not licensed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

You probably lost a leg on the incoming service. Bad connection to the main breaker, or bad main breaker? But really, doing panel changes on someone else's house is not a good idea if you're not an electrician.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

FPE panel. Move the breaker up or down one slot. You have both breakers on the same leg. You are getting 120V from each side but not 240V between them.
mpoulton (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Electrician

Gotta love those Federal Pioneer panels. A quick check to see if your breaker is on two different phases is to check the voltage at the terminal screws of the breaker. If you get 240V you have two different phases if you get 0 your on one phase.

When you go back to check it out, make sure there are no multiwire branch circuits that may have ended up on a single phase. You will think everything is working except your neutral could be overloaded and you would never know.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
FPE panel. Move the breaker up or down one slot. You have both breakers on the same leg. You are getting 120V from each side but not 240V between them.
Actually move it a half spot. Those panels are famous for letting you put two-pole breakers in wrong.

Oh, and BTW, you are WAY over your head doing work like this for other people. Stick to DIY work for yourself before you get someone else killed.

Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-20-2011)