New Outlets On 15 Amp Line - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
DIY

Rewards Points: 25
Question

New Outlets on 15 amp line

Had a question on some new 15amp/14G I am running. I'm bringing new outlets to 3 bedrooms and wanted to find out how many outlets you all think is ideal per 15amp line?

I've read around and it seems that there is no set limit in a residential setting, but I want to be realistic. I'm guessing the 3 bedrooms will each have a TV, one may eventually run a computer, and ironing may be done from a bedroom.

Is 8 to 10 outlets split between 2 rooms reasonable?

Also, must outlets run on a daisy chain from one to the next, or could I run the new 14G line to a junction, and then run 1 line from the junction point to one bedroom with outlets daisy chained together, and a separate junction line to the other bedroom for the those outlets? Or is it better to keep the line continuous and start at the 1st outlet in line, and finish at the last?

Advertisement

RocketManZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Ten duplex receptacles in three rooms is probably too much for one 15 amp circuit. You are likelty to trip the breaker a lot.

Using a central junction box instead of daisy chaining is okay. You will probably use less cable if at least some of the receptacles are in daisy chains.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-21-2011 at 12:03 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
DIY

Rewards Points: 25

Good information. So how many outlets would you recommend? Say 8 per 15 amp circuit max? Note that I'm planning on running 2 circuit since the 3 bedrooms as a whole have more than 4 outlets each, but I'm also wiring the hallway and a closet so I'm trying to figure out what is ideal per room, and per line.

Most plugs either won't be used, or will be used for charging cell phones, ipods, bed lamps. Others will be used for TV/DVD/Computers. No air conditioners or anything like that.
RocketManZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,484

Two outlets where the bed would be, one on either side of it, an outlet when you enter below the light switch, so you can plug in a vacuum, and an outlet on the opposite wall, below a window. If there are two windows in the room, one below each window. So at the most, you may have just five or six outlets if the room is no larger than 12x12 or 14x14.

Really need a floor plan to better assist you in what you are trying to do. We have two bedrooms, and at the most one has two outlets, the other has four, and both are on separate 15amp circuits.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Ten duplex receptacles in three rooms is probably too much for one 15 amp circuit. You are likely to trip the breaker a lot.
You could put 100 receptacle in the room and not trip the breaker. Receptacles in and of themselves do not use any power until a load is plugged in. You could overload a circuit that only had two receptacles. Expected usage is a much better way to plan circuits, not based strictly on number per circuit.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketManZ View Post
Good information. So how many outlets would you recommend? Say 8 per 15 amp circuit max? Note that I'm planning on running 2 circuit since the 3 bedrooms as a whole have more than 4 outlets each, but I'm also wiring the hallway and a closet so I'm trying to figure out what is ideal per room, and per line.

Most plugs either won't be used, or will be used for charging cell phones, ipods, bed lamps. Others will be used for TV/DVD/Computers. No air conditioners or anything like that.
Just we are clear- this a residential design issue- code says:

210.23(A)(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened
in Place. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected
utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed
80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

That is basically your only hard rule in this app. as far bedroom receptacles.

There is a minimum amount of circuits required, but I doubt that applies here.

210.11 Branch Circuits Required.

Branch circuits for lighting and for appliances, including motor-operated appliances, shall be provided to supply the loads calculated in
accordance with 220.10. In addition, branch circuits shall
be provided for specific loads not covered by 220.10 where
required elsewhere in this Code and for dwelling unit loads
as specified in 210.11(C).

(A) Number of Branch Circuits. The minimum number
of branch circuits shall be determined from the total calculated
load and the size or rating of the circuits used. In all
installations, the number of circuits shall be sufficient to
supply the load served. In no case shall the load on any
circuit exceed the maximum specified by 220.18.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You could put 100 receptacle in the room and not trip the breaker. Receptacles in and of themselves do not use any power until a load is plugged in. You could overload a circuit that only had two receptacles. Expected usage is a much better way to plan circuits, not based strictly on number per circuit.
Yep, that is it. You beat me to the gate.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Some things are always done the same way because that is the way things have always been done...

But with outlets, things have changed and this calls for a new different design!

Think about everything you might have plugged in and where you would need outlets for those things. Add up the watts, convert to amps at the following. Use "single phase"...
http://www.jobsite-generators.com/po...lculators.html

If you want a window air conditioner or space heater, those would best be on their own circuits/outlets.

Then there are certain spots where *many* things are plugged in. Like where a computer would go.

Or on either side of the bed - lamp, alarm clock, electric blanket, cell phone charger. That is 4 outlets needed on one side of the bed!

Yet we install one outlet there because that is the way things have always been done...

How about installing 3 duplex outlets there (a total 6 outlets)? Then you will have plenty of outlets for everything you need to plug in - don't need extension cords or power strips...

You can install as many outlets as you want and will need.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,484

Billy Bob, we ran window units in each of our bedrooms on the same 15 amp circuit, that we have a computer, tv, xbox-360 in in one room, and the other, a tv, Cpap machine with no problems. If the OP feels like going with a 20 amp circuit, the only change would be pulling #12 vs #14 for the circuit. Even with a small room heater which should never be used in a bedroom, or on a non-afci protected circuit, let alone while you are sleeping, is the last thing I would be using.

No, min. since most bedrooms have four walls, four outlets should be sufficient, six at the most would be better. Originally in our house, there was maybe one outlet in the kitchen, one in the living room, one in each bedroom. Had four circuits originally, and when we moved in, there was maybe six or eight. It is easy to fill up a panel, and without proper planning, especially if the OP plans on making dedicated circuits for heavy loads such as 220vac window ac units, they really need to sit down and figure it out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-21-2011 at 04:22 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
bingo. I would put 2 bedrooms on one 15 amp circuit and whatever the biggest bedroom is put it on its own circuit. How many receptacles are in the bedroom makes absolutely no difference. Your loads aren't going to change whether you had 5 receptacles or 20 in each bedroom

break up your circuits by areas or rooms, not by number of receptacles. An example of this is in my living room. I wasn't sure where i was going to put my furniture, so i put receptacle layouts for multiple different furniture scenarios. I don't know how many are in there, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 25 duplex receptacles. 3/4 of them are covered up by furniture. I think i actually use maybe 5. If i rearranged my furniture i would probably cover those 5 and use a different 5.
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,316

Don't forget to check code cycle your location is on.

The lights and receptacles may need to be arc fault protected!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,380

You really need to consider what loads are likely to be used,
If it is just light loads like computors, small lamps, clock radio
tvs, then having four outlets per room, and two rooms on
one breaker is realistic.

But if you think heavy loads like irons, air conditioners, or heaters
are likely to be used then it changes things.

In this case I would have four outlets per room,
and a 20a breaker for each room.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Don't forget to check code cycle your location is on.

The lights and receptacles may need to be arc fault protected!
That is basically a given
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

For what it's worth, if I were taking the time to pull new wire, I would put each bedroom on its own 20 amp circuit. Why? Because you never know what you may want to use in the future.

Our bedroom is 15x15. It has five duplex outlets in it, but it could use more.
brgmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgmgb View Post
For what it's worth, if I were taking the time to pull new wire, I would put each bedroom on its own 20 amp circuit. Why? Because you never know what you may want to use in the future.

Our bedroom is 15x15. It has five duplex outlets in it, but it could use more.
That might be overkill, but a teenager can trip a 20 amp breaker with 1 bedroom. I know, because i used to do it in highschool. I had 2 computers, 2 tvs, stereo, microwave, mini fridge, and a space heater among other things. If i had the heater and the microwave running and the mini fridge kicked on, it would trip the breaker.

Now as an adult, i have a cell phone charger and a clock radio plugged in.

Advertisement