Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #1

Share |

new lights in attic

I'm looking to add two wall lights in my attic, there is already a flu in place that i wish to remove, what i would like to know is can i use the existing wiring, it is a two way switching from a single switch downstairs through another switch and into the two wall lights???

The house's lighting circuit is on a 5A breaker at the moment and I will be adding an extra switch for upstairs as it was turned on from downstairs before??

Any help would be great cheers.
spark1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #2

new lights in attic

You are not in the US right. We don't use 5 amp breakers in residential. Maybe someone familiar with your country's requirements can assist you.

But yes you can install your lights and switches as long as you have the correct wire size for the breaker. I have no idea what a two way switch is? We have single pole switches, three way switches and four way switches. A single pole switch controls one or more loads from one switch. A three way switch controls from either switch and four way switches control from multiple locations.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

new lights in attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
You are not in the US right. We don't use 5 amp breakers in residential. Maybe someone familiar with your country's requirements can assist you.

But yes you can install your lights and switches as long as you have the correct wire size for the breaker. I have no idea what a two way switch is? We have single pole switches, three way switches and four way switches. A single pole switch controls one or more loads from one switch. A three way switch controls from either switch and four way switches control from multiple locations.
We, the U.S., are one of the only countries in the world that calls a single pole double throw switch a three-way. Everywhere else, England, Australia, India, NZ, France, etc, it is called a two-way.

InPhase277
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #4

new lights in attic

Sorry thought this was a uk forum didn't realise but thanks again for your reply.

quote=J. V.;100035]You are not in the US right. We don't use 5 amp breakers in residential. Maybe someone familiar with your country's requirements can assist you.

But yes you can install your lights and switches as long as you have the correct wire size for the breaker. I have no idea what a two way switch is? We have single pole switches, three way switches and four way switches. A single pole switch controls one or more loads from one switch. A three way switch controls from either switch and four way switches control from multiple locations.[/quote]
Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

new lights in attic

In the UK you will have the possibility of old colours and new. Switch configurations can be labeled differently the most common is C = common this is where incoming live is connected or the switched live to the light. Then
you will have L1 and L2. These are the control legs or control wires as they are called in the UK.

New colours are:

Brown = LIVE
Blue = Neutral
Earth = Green/yellow
Extra live in cable = gray or black

All wires connecting to a switch other than brown must have a brown sleeve placed over the wire.

Below is a diagram of how you would bring a cable from a ceiling rose or consumer unit to the first 2 way switch continue to the next and then to the light or lights.
Attached Thumbnails
new lights in attic-uk-two-way-switch.jpg  

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-21-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #6

new lights in attic

cheers bud,

helps alot. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

new lights in attic

Stubbie that is good drawing there but let me add one more item per UK requrement after the hot conducter leave the last switch point the SOP is used the Grey sleeved or grey conductor for switched live.

this is common pratice because majotry of the resdentail they termatied most of connection at the luminaire location.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

new lights in attic

Thanks Frenchy I wasn't aware of that. I do know they don't use wirenuts and make most connections in compression lugs at the ceiling rose, then switch loops. A sparky better have a lot of ladders sizes in the UK....

I've been spending a little time now and then trying to get a better handle on how they do things in Europe and the UK.

For instance this is rather interesting how they connect at the ceiling roses. The last picture is the new IEC colors for a 2 conductor cable like our nm-b
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

new lights in attic

Yep you got it right Stubbie.

that is a excat picture what i am talking about it is very common in UK but not in France.

If you are instering about the French electrical system i will either PM or post a seperated thread so we don't get all mixed up with the topic.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

new lights in attic

I would very much like that Frenchy. Just pm me with it unless you would like to discuss it some on the forum if so start a thread.

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-21-2008 at 04:38 PM.