DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   new light switch for kitchen (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/new-light-switch-kitchen-174008/)

EUGEBE 03-09-2013 12:58 PM

new light switch for kitchen
 
Hi there,

I bought new lightswitch made by leviton with an LED guide light. the old switch in the wall is a toggle switch. My house is over 30 years old....also. There are 3 sets of wires inside the switch box......each with a white and black wire....and there are 3 copper (ground) wires screwed down in the switch box. So there is a total of 6 wires in the switch box. The new switch calls for 2 black wires, 1 white neutral wire and a ground.. (the old switch had no neutral wire on it because all the neutral wires were stuck together in the switch box with a twisty plug thing).

I am confused as to hook this thing up. Ive tried all combinations and light isnt working......*sigh*

Is there any help for me?

stickboy1375 03-09-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EUGEBE (Post 1133223)
Hi there,

I bought new lightswitch made by leviton with an LED guide light. the old switch in the wall is a toggle switch. My house is over 30 years old....also. There are 3 sets of wires inside the switch box......each with a white and black wire....and there are 3 copper (ground) wires screwed down in the switch box. So there is a total of 6 wires in the switch box. The new switch calls for 2 black wires, 1 white neutral wire and a ground.. (the old switch had no neutral wire on it because all the neutral wires were stuck together in the switch box with a twisty plug thing).

I am confused as to hook this thing up. Ive tried all combinations and light isnt working......*sigh*

Is there any help for me?

Do you have any friends with some basic electrical knowledge?

EUGEBE 03-09-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 1133226)
Do you have any friends with some basic electrical knowledge?


Hi, thanks for responding! Unfortunately i dont ..... but i am willing to try!

mech_gui 03-09-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EUGEBE (Post 1133241)
Hi, thanks for responding! Unfortunately i dont ..... but i am willing to try!

Go to the Leviton web site
http://www.leviton.com
Type in the Leviton part number on the box and find the wiring diagram. ( if it is not on the box) the neutral on the switch is probably to power the LED.

Determine how the light gets its power. It can be fed from the main panel to the light OR the switch.

Looks to see if any of the white wires has tape on it to re-identify it as a switch leg

Next determine what wire goes where. One from the light box, one from another receptacle box elsewhere, one from the basement etc.

You can do this by finding the breaker the light is on then tracing the wire to the to where it goes up in the basement.

If you don't have a basement and cannot trace the wires..
You can figure this out turning off the breaker taking out the switch, wire nut each wire and turn it back on to test each wire with a tester.

Be very careful when you pull off the wire nuts to test. At least one of them will be at 120V.

Once you figure out what wire goes post further questions if you cannot figure out how to wire from the Leviton wiring diagram.

Jim Port 03-09-2013 02:56 PM

Do you have two blacks on one side of the switch and one on the other? The single is going to the light, while the other two are power in and power out.

mech_gui 03-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 1133274)
Do you have two blacks on one side of the switch and one on the other? The single is going to the light, while the other two are power in and power out.

I'm thinking a picture may help too. :thumbsup:

gregzoll 03-09-2013 03:24 PM

If this box has three switches, and three sets of wires, me thinks that the OP has a "Switch Loop" for all of those switches.

stickboy1375 03-09-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1133293)
If this box has three switches, and three sets of wires, me thinks that the OP has a "Switch Loop" for all of those switches.

I didnt think that at all, he said he had 3 sets of wires within a switch box. Im going with feed in, feed out, and the load... of course, this would have been a easy explanation if he hadn't changed the splice already...

Bubski27 03-09-2013 03:28 PM

Are u sure u didn't purchase a 3 way switch?

EUGEBE 03-09-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mech_gui (Post 1133278)
I'm thinking a picture may help too. :thumbsup:



okk....i have the switch leg connected to the side of the switch......

the left side of the switch is where the load goes in...(black) and on the right side of the switch is the white (switch leg) on top..and another black on the botttom. however, there is still one more black wire left exposed in the junction box that is exposed. where does that wire go???

gregzoll 03-09-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EUGEBE (Post 1133314)
okk....i have the switch leg connected to the side of the switch......

the left side of the switch is where the load goes in...(black) and on the right side of the switch is the white (switch leg) on top..and another black on the botttom. however, there is still one more black wire left exposed in the junction box that is exposed. where does that wire go???

Post a picture please.

mech_gui 03-09-2013 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this what you have plus another cable with a black & white? If so the last one may be a feed through to a receptacle or something else.

mech_gui 03-09-2013 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it is a feed through it could look something like this. You really need to be sure where each wire goes.

TTW 03-09-2013 06:44 PM

If they are switch leg loops, power running to the fixture first and then to the switch, you will not have a neutral in that box and your lighted switch won't work without doing some rewiring.

Code starting in 2011 now requires neutrals in all switch boxes for this very reason.

Kyle_in_rure 03-09-2013 08:23 PM

I don't think the OP has a switch loop, in the first post he mentions that all the neutrals were wire-nutted together in the switchbox.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved