DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Light Install

894 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Yosh 
#1 ·
Hi guys, long time reader; fist post.

Here is my situation. I looked for similar posts but each scenario is different from mine slightly.

I have a bedroom with no light on the ceiling. Just a toggle switch on the wall that goes to an outlet.

Would like to make that outlet constantly on and the toggle switch control a new light.

How would i go about doing this?

In the toggle switch box i have a black/white & ground.
In the outlet box i have ( 3 ) sets of black/white & ground.

Now I know I have to run new wires to the light and go thru beams and such.

Also note there is a bedroom upstairs and can not gain access from above.

#2 ·
First you are going to need to figure out what wires are available at the switch to see where you can get power from. You may need to go to the receptacle

#3 ·
Since you only have one black & white set at the switch, it's a switched loop. It needs to be changed to a hot feed, you do that at the switched outlet location. There, all the blacks should connect together, and all the whites connected together, with tails going to refeed the receptacle constantly. Now the black and white at the switch location are hot & neutral. The neutral (white) connects to the whits to the new light, and the black connects to the toggle switch, and the blaqck from the light connects to the other terminal on the toggle switch. Do not re-make the splice at the outlet until the rest of the work and splicing is done, and of course, do all this when the circuit is off.

#4 ·
I have a bedroom with no light on the ceiling. Just a toggle switch on the wall that goes to an outlet.

Would like to make that outlet constantly on and the toggle switch control a new light.

In the toggle switch box i have a black/white & ground.
In the outlet box i have ( 3 ) sets of black/white & ground.
Pretty simple. You appear to have a switch loop in at the switch location. SO at the outlet location you must have constant power. Figure out which cable is your power in at the outlet location. Rewire the outlet. Then run a new cable to the light location.

Had this diagram saved.

Shows exactly what you want...except there are 2 outlets...but you should get the general idea.

no grounds shown for ease of drawing

Attachments

#5 ·
Thank you so much guys! Thats the exact info I needed! The diagram helps a bunch. Now i have to figure out the center of the room for the new fixture. Would prefer recessed lights but maybe harder to figure out with out a pic. Maybe a future question.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.