Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Share |

New Light Fixture won't turn off

Hello everyone,

I hate to be posting yet another issue along this nature but I read through as many existing posts with the same issue as I could and none were able to help me resolve it.

To keep my issue as straightforward as possible I decided that some photos would be extremely useful:

The Ceiling Receptacle:

(In case you can't tell from the photo)
- 1 x Black wire - solo
- 3 x white - combined
- 3 x black + 1 x white - combined

The new fixture:

- 1 x green/yellow
- 1 x black
- 1 x white

The Light Switch Receptacle:

- 1 x black
- 1 x white
- 1 x bare copper screwed to back?

The (New) Dimmer Switch (not possible it is faulty, just purchased):

- 1 x black
- 2 x red
- 1 x green

The Issue:

The replacement light fixture had exactly the same wires as the old one (1 b/w). I turned off the fuse and proceeded to switch one wire from the old to new at a time.

The old light fixture was set up with the Light Fixture white capped with the [3x] white of the receptacle and the black capped with the solo black of the receptacle (not the 3xblack+1xwhite).

After putting the breaker back on, the light would not come on at all. I have no way of testing anything besides the switch itself. So I assumed I did it wrong and turned off the breaker.

Next I tried the fixture white capped with the receptacle 3x white and moved the fixture 1x black with the receptacle 3xblack+1xwhite, which left the single black receptacle solo. This resulted in the light coming on once the breaker was on but the switch unable to turn it off.

This made me think that the switch it self was the problem all along and the light fixture didnt even need replacing... so I bought a new light switch and replaced it in exactly the same manner.

The old light switch had four wires, just like the new one, however, two of them were capped with nothing (green and yellow), and the black went to black and the white to the white.

I copied this exactly as you can see in the image for the new one. reading that the 2nd red wire on the new switch can be superfluous in some receptacles, so I ignored it like the yellow from the old one.

I switched the light-switches with the breaker off in case you are wondering.

But still, I tried the above set ups again and got the exact same results even with the new switch.

I am totally stumped and could really use your guidance.

Appreciate you taking the time to read this far and thank you in advance for your suggestions,

Jon

Aubullion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Master Electrician

The rocker at the bottom is the on off control for the dimmer. The slide portion is the dimmer. At the fixture single black connects to black of fixture, grouped whites connect to whit of fixture, blacks with white need wire nut. Green/yellow to bare or green.

At the switch, black of switch to white in box, red of switch to black in box.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Scared Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
The rocker at the bottom is the on off control for the dimmer. The slide portion is the dimmer. At the fixture single black connects to black of fixture, grouped whites connect to whit of fixture, blacks with white need wire nut. Green/yellow to bare or green.

At the switch, black of switch to white in box, red of switch to black in box.
and green of switch to bare in wall

if this does not turn on th light wire nut together the white and black wires at the switch to test

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #4

Thank you for your guidance. I hooked everything up brric indicated and the switch still does nothing.

Then, as Saturday Cowboy suggested, I combined the black and white wires at the switch with a cap and when the breaker was turned on, nothing happened.

Starting to worry there is a larger issue here.

Again, thank you for your input and time with my issue. Hope you can provide some more insight.

Regards,

Jon

Last edited by Aubullion; 02-21-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Additional Information Update
Aubullion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
Scared Electrician

well now we need some tools. - a multimeter to test for voltage. We have obviously lost power some where between the breaker and our switch/light.

troubleshooting 101 -open every jbox, plug, light from here to the panel checking that every connection in the circuit is tight. Working from the panel find where in the circuit you first loose power(theres ur problem)

Just a silly thought popped in to my head- could this be caused by a tripped GFI? It has been know to happened that a circuit or part of one is on a GFI hidden some where, which once the GFI trips can cause you to go insane hunting for missing JUICE.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dimmer, light fixture, light receptacle, light switch, turn off