Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New light fixture problem

Hi All,
I bought a new light fixture and when I went to install it the junction box in the ceiling where the old fixture was has two white wires (one is hot and one is not) one black wire (hot) and a ground. The white wire that is hot is hot even with the switch turned off. Now that there is no light fixture the outlets in the room do not work either. I have been told that the outlets are probably wired into the ceiling light and the wall switch as well. I have put in lights in other rooms and they just had the one white, one black and the ground. The new fixture is normal too. One white, one black and the ground. What do I do with the extra white wire that is hot? Thanks for any help!

debradough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Ya get a case of beer for your buddy that has a little more electrical knowledge and ask em to come over to look at it. You don't want to get it wrong bro. Just ain't worth it. Watch what he does and be prepared for next time, ya' know.

AlKapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

Lets start from the beginning. How many wires are in the junction box for the light, how many wires are in the box for the switch (what colors are in that box), and how many wires are in the box for the nearest outlet to that switch for the light?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I haven't looked at any other wires except the ones in the junction box where I am trying to install the new light fixture. Coming out of the junction box there are two white wires, one black and a ground. With the wall switch turned off one of the white wires is still hot. I had the same problem (wire configuration) in another bedroom where I was trying to install a new light and a neighbor (who has since moved) came over and wired it in just a matter of a few minutes and the light and wall outlets all worked great (and still do). He is the one who explained that the switch, outlets and light fixture were all on one circuit. It was about four years ago though and I just don't remember anything else.
Just checked the switch box. One white wire and one black wire.

Last edited by debradough; 09-18-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: adding information
debradough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

You are going to have to figure out where the other black is in the light junction box. There should be a total of six wires up there, but you are only finding three, so something is amiss.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have switch loop on that end however ., how many conductors total actually in there just two pairs or more than that?

If only two pairs it pretty easy with a basic ohmmeter { this part the power have to be off first before you do this } and ring it out on switch loop once you sort it out then the rest will be easy to hook up however this part will change your plans a little with connections.,

Take the actual black unswitched conductor { hot all the time } to white conductor to the switch loop then the black conductor from switch loop is acutally controled by the switch so that is switched black conductor that switched black conductor you hook up to the black luminaire conductor while white conductor from the luminaire to the other white conductor et you are good to go.

Voila le photo to assit you on this one.,,

This is a correct connection on single pole switch connection.

Merci,
Marc
Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Agree on a switch loop in there but all the recs. are dead. I don't normally see every one in the room operate off a single switch. Guess you don't recall if the neutrals (whites) were in a wire nut with another nuetral? 3 in a wire nut, one gone to the light? Black on other side of light?
AlKapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,026

Excluding the light fixture wires, one black, one ground, two whites one of them hot, up in the ceiling box, are not a correct standard configuration. You must have a system from more than 70 years ago, or a system that some handyman bastardized.

How are the wires grouped at the back of the ceiling box (what cables do each wire come out of?)

How did the wires used to be connected?

Normally, unless you have 3 conductor cables with red wires, there has to be an even number of wires in the box (excluding the light fixture).

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-19-2011 at 10:32 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-19-2011)