Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New light fixture on false ceiling

Hi,

when I bought my house a few months ago, I found that two rooms have no light fixture, one is the living room, the other the guest bedroom.
I need now to put a normal light fixture in the guest room, by normal I mean a energy saving fixture, not halogen.
The room has a wall switch that controls one or more receptacles and luckily, it is also the room where the electrical panel cabinet is as well as a false ceiling.

In theory it is simple, but I need to clear up some initial thoughts before starting this project.

1) Wire: 14/2 is it the right one to be used?
2) Can I just start from the switch with the wire, go above the false ceiling, drill the studs till I get to the middle of the room where I want to put the fixture?
3) Which type of electrical box should I use? Should I fix it to the studs or to the ceiling frame? I just want to hang a little lamp, very light, just to have basic lighting in the room and maybe I'd like to change the switch with a dimmer (I have one of those dimmer eco-dim which is good for both incandescent and halogen bulbs).

Looking forward to reading your advice.

Thanks
Alex

Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

You have to see what gauge wiring is in the correct switch box. Odds are it is 14 so if it is then yes, 14/2 is fine. As far as starting from the switch box, you have to make sure there is a neutral in that box. They might have done a switch loop to the switch controlled outlet leaving no neutral. If there is a neutral, then yes, u may start at the switch. If there isn't a neutral, u have to rewire the existing switch and switch controlled outlet (not hard but can be confusing if you don't know what your doing). As far as mounting to false ceiling, when you say false ceiling I am assuming you mean a drop ceiling with metal grids? If yes, they make a drop ceiling bar box that attaches to the grid and the box mounts to the bar. It'll be more than enough for a basic light fixture

heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for you quick reply.
Yes, I mean a drop ceiling with grids and I will check for the neutral in the switch control.
Do you see any problem with a dimmer switch?

The drop ceiling bar box, you mean something like this?

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 22

That box would work but is more heavy duty than you need. You can find a similar style with a plastic box for about $3-4, but it will not be fan rated and does not need to be.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

A dimmer can be used but only if the outlet controlled by the switch is connected so it will be hot all the time and not controlled by the dimmer.
NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #6

If the dimmer is to control the fluorescent light, you need to get a fluorescent dimmer. A regular incandescent dimmer will not work with a fluorescent light
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

Hi all,

I just finished having a look at the guest room from an electrical perspective and found out the unexpected:

The rooms has 5 duplex receptacles, all perfectly working with 120V, so I decided to check which ones are controlled by the switch and found out none of them
I found it strange so I opened the only wall switch (single pole) and discovered that there is no voltage in it, but it is wired 14/2 (white/black/bare). I thought it was the switch being defective but touching the cable with a non-contact voltage tester there is not electricity along its length.
I followed the cable and I am pretty sure it ends up in one of the receptacle just on the opposite wall.
I opened the receptacle and found three cables coming from the top (see picture)
The one on the right must be the one that goes to the switch.
Now, the connections are as follows (see picture):

2 blacks hot (from the left cables) are connected to the 2 brass screw terminals.
1 black (from the right which I think to be the switch) to the silver screw terminal.
1 white (from one of the two left cables) is connected to the other silver screw terminal.
2 whites pigtailed

This is what I found, why there is no electricity at the switch?

-------------------------

Regarding the lamp, I moved the drop ceiling and found a junction box (see picture), do I have a way to take the electricity from there and at the same time operate the lamp through the switch?

Thank you!
Alex

Last edited by Metallo; 04-13-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #8

Anybody?

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #9

Hi guys,

would you please provide me some advice on why there is no electricity from the receptacle to the wall switch?
I think I know how set it to work, but just trying to figure out why it has been done the way it is from the people before me.

Thank you
Alex
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Licensed Pro

The receptacle was wired that way because someone had no clue as to what they were doing.
Do you wish to keep the receptacle controlled by the switch or not? This will dictate how it is rewired.

The junction box above the ceiling looks as if it may already have a switched wire (the red one). Is there another switch in the room or can you trace the cable that contains the red wire to see where it goes?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #11

HouseHelper,

thanks for your reply.

Well, I do not want to control the receptacle through the wall switch, I just want to use the switch to operate a lamp that I will hang to the ceiling.

Given that the cable from the switch to the receptacle is already there, I just want to get electricity from the receptacle to the switch and then, from the switch I will put another cable to the lamp.

Here is how I would like to change the connections to the receptacle, bearing in mind that there are 3 cables in that box, 2 have tension, 1 is the one going to the switch.

The red wire in the box is part of a three wire cable which is white and twisted, it is going to the dining room and have no idea where, but maybe we do not need it if the drawing I did is correct.

Please, let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #12

Hi all,

I did what mentioned in my previous post and now it works , the switch controls the lamp, the current in the receptacles is always on

Now, I only need to fix the light and pass the cable.

Thanks
Alex

Last edited by Metallo; 04-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #13

I can answer about how to hang. Always hang from a stud period. It gives it strength just in case. Plus use a fan box. That way down the line if you want to install a ceiling fan you are already set!

eokhuijzen is offline   Reply With Quote