DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

new light to existing switched light

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  joed 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, I'm adding a pendant light to an existing lighting circuit, and I need to know the wiring connections. I don't yet know whether the source is to the switch first or the existing light; I'll have to check. I want one switch to control both.

My thoughts are that I can add the new light to an existing light no matter where the source is by running 14/2 from the existing light to the new one. If the source is at the switch first, there should be only two connections at the light (black switch leg, and white neutral from the switch). I would just pigtail the new 14/2 to those connections.

If the source is at the light, then I need to be sure which black wire (should be two: one from the panel connecting to white switch loop; and the other from the switch to the light terminal) is HOT, and which is the switch leg. In this case, I'd run a new 14/2 from the existing light to the new one, and connect the new black to the black going to the light terminal.

If I'm wrong here, please set me straight. I think I'm overthinking this.

#2 ·
Look at the back of the first light fixture. Connect the black of the new cable (to the second fixture) to the black coming out of the first fixture. Connect the white of the new cable to the white coming out of the first fixture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.