New IC Rated Recessed Cans - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New IC rated recessed cans

I have some existing Halo H7T recessed cans that are not rated for contact with insulation, and I'd like to replace them with insulation contact rated ("IC") cans such as the Halo H7ICAT cans.

My existing cans have a bracket that allows the socket to be adjusted to go high enough into the can so that a BR40 bulb (incandescent or CFL) will not protrude beyond the level of the ceiling. The new cans do not allow the socket bracket to be adjusted nearly as high, making a BR40 bulb protrude below the level of the ceiling by nearly an inch!

Does anyone know how to get around this problem? I can't find an IC can that doesn't seem to have this issue.

Thank you!

Advertisement

camner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camner For This Useful Post:
danielrg (05-23-2012)
Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

what kind of lamp are you using? BR's come in several neck lengths so if you are using a long neck, look for a short neck.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
danielrg (05-23-2012)
Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
what kind of lamp are you using? BR's come in several neck lengths so if you are using a long neck, look for a short neck.
That's a good idea for the incandescent bulbs. I don't think I've seen a short-necked BR40 CFL.

(How much shorter are the short necked bulbs?)
camner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camner For This Useful Post:
danielrg (05-23-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I am going to resurrect this topic.

I just bought a Halo H7ICAT 6" enclosure for evaluation. I also thought that the bulb stuck out way too far below. I want it to recess up into the enclosure so it isn't beaming me in the face when I look across the room.

Is this a feature of IC enclosures? Will non-IC enclosures let me get the bulb way higher in there?

My wife likes the R30 better than the PAR30 halogens. I can find PAR30 in short neck which look fine, but I can't find ANY R30 short neck, and I have looked all over.

Since I was just experimenting, I modified the can to allow me to recess the light much higher up. It provided an excellent look - I like the light recessed 1.5" - 2" up from the ceiling - using the 310P trim:

However, I can't really modify the can and expect it to still be an IC can, or even a legal can - and I don't really want to use it at all if I have modified it (burn baby burn) - but I want this look!

I am willing to go non-IC if I can recess the lights deeper. This is in my basement anyway and I am keeping insulation in the ceiling to keep the two floors better regulated for heat. But if I don't put the insulation around the lights that won't make a huge diff - it will just escape upstairs.

Comments on housings / trims that let you recess your lights deeper? Is there a different trim for the H7ICAT that replaces the light plate and allows recessing the lights deeper?
danielrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

My suggestion...try a LED trim. You can usually find them at the orange big box store for a little bit more money than a regular trim and lamp.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
danielrg (05-23-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #6

I'd like to use incandescent if I can - most of the time they'll be dimmed as this is for a theater - but dimming them and the look of the incandescent is what I like...

I heard there are better trims for the HALO lights that recess deeper. Anyone know where to find these? I read about them but someone called them only the "upgrade" trims - not much help - a model # would be great.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #7

I'll answer my own question for posterity:

Home Depot sells this: HALO 30WATH which is a full replacement trim that holds the bulb socket and everything, and you dump the sliding plate in the housing. It looks much better for BR30/R30 or long neck PAR30 bulbs for the H7ICAT 6" recessed housing.

Also you can find at other places the "30WAT" (white trim, white baffle, reflector - same as 30WATH as far as I can see) and the "30PAT" which is white trim black baffle, cone reflector.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Sparkaholic

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

What makes the can IC rated is the limitation of the type and wattages of the bulbs that can be used and the setting of the thermal sensor in the can. Doing anything to the fixture, including replacing the trim with a trim that allows a lamp not specified for use with the fixture effectively voids its IC rating as well as its UL listing!
danielrg (05-23-2012), Evstarr (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1up View Post
What makes the can IC rated is the limitation of the type and wattages of the bulbs that can be used and the setting of the thermal sensor in the can. Doing anything to the fixture, including replacing the trim with a trim that allows a lamp not specified for use with the fixture effectively voids its IC rating as well as its UL listing!
This is all very true - but I don't want anyone to mistake that the trims I mentioned in my last post aren't rated for this can - HALO indicates they are for use with the IC can as well as their other 6" cans. So if you buy those trims they CAN be used in the IC rated can, but you need to follow the wattage requirements listed inside the can housing, which may be lower than for a non-IC housing.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to danielrg For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (05-22-2012)