Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #1

Share |

New House Structured Wiring Setup for CATV

Hi, I need some help on figuring out how to set up my plan for my structured wiring in my house. I am building a new house, it's just getting started framing now, so I am trying to plan ahead so when it's my turn to run my wires, I know what I'm doing. I have the ethernet, telephone, security, and speaker wires figured out, just still not sure what to do with cable. I will have a wire closet in the basement, and a rack that will house all my telephone and ethernet stuff, including the ports to all the rooms and switches and a data server.

Originally, I was going to just put 2 8-way splitters in the ceiling or wall in the closet. However, I think I may want something more complex. All plates in the house will have 2 RG6 quad shield cables running to them.

What I'm wanting to know, is what are other people doing? How is this most commonly set up? Do people just use a splitter and amplifier and just run the wires into that in the ceiling? I was thinking maybe something more along the lines of having a panel in the rack with coax plugs for each room, but then I would double that many coax plugs so I can run them into a splitter. Besides, I'm sure adding 2 extra couplers to each line isn't going to help signal strength.

Also- I don't want to get a structured wiring panel, I've already looked into them, and they won't fit my needs. All in all, I have 34 ethernet runs, 14 telephone, 18 catv runs, 24 security wire runs, and 4 surveilance video runs going to the wire closet, that's not including all the speaker distribution stuff which may get ran down there too (haven't decided on it's setup yet)

What should I do to make this the best setup in the wiring closet for the cable?

Last edited by gregsenne; 02-16-2009 at 03:27 PM.
gregsenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Everything goes to a central point, then from there you have the wires go to every room. If you think about it, for every CATV jack, you should also have 2 Ethernet jacks, 1 telephone. For speakers, unless you are going to wire whole house, then you may only need the wiring for speakers in the main TV room for Surround sound. It takes drawing plans and having an idea for what you want.

As for splitters, if you are wiring at a central point, there is no need for splitters anywhere on the runs. The best thing to do, is visit Levitrons site, and also maybe take a peek at http://www.smarthome.com. BTW, what are you looking at for budget with all of this? It can get pretty expensive quickly, and if looking at the future, try to future proof by using what is called "Octopus" cable at most of the runs.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #3

No, I've got all the wiring planned out. Every room has at least 6 ethernet and 4 catv and 2 phone. I have the wire sitting here ready to go into the house, I've got 2000' RG6 quad shield, 1000' CAT6 for ethernet, 1000' CAT5e for telephone, 1000' 18ga 4 conductor for security, and 2000' of 16ga 2 conductor for speakers. I do have blueprints for all of this, and all the equipment and materials purchased and on hand already. And yes, I am running surround sound in living room, master bedroom, and bar, but I'm also running an audio distribution system with wall volume controls and in ceiling speakers and outdoor speakers to port sound to the kitchen, master bathroom, back deck, side deck, and garage.
I do understand how the entire structured wiring concept works, I've installed these wires in existing houses many of times, but I always just used splitters for the cable. This is the first time I'm actually putting this stuff in a new house, and it makes it better when It's my house!

And I think you misunderstood what I was saying about splitters. All the runs to the rooms run down to the wire closet. All individual wires. There are no mid-run splices. I am asking about all the wires inside the wire closet. They have to go to one big splitter, and I need help deciding how to do this. I don't want a bunch of splices in the wire (if I ran each room wire to a patch panel, had a coupler, then a jumper cable, down to another coupler, to another jumer cable that went to a splitter. Seems like lots of splices to loose signal with...... or I could just have the bundle of cable wires come out of the ceiling in the wire closet and run them directly to a splitter. But then, it doesn't seem too flexible if I want to port video from one room to another or something like that).
Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

In the couple setups I have seen, all the CATV runs go directly to a splitter on the wall and are very neatly labeled. I don't see any problem with this setup, if you think you want to port video from one room to another, just use velcro ties to bundle the cables together so you can pull the cables you need apart and connect them together.

It's good to see someone is thinking BEFORE the house is finished, sounds like you are clearly on the right track. However, I might add that you will want to re-calculate your wiring runs, especially your Ethernet runs. I have 36 total network runs in my house here and I ended up using over 2500 feet of cable, probably closer to 3000 feet. Unless your runs are fairly short between your data closet and your jacks, I think you will need more than 1000 feet of cat6.

And I believe the previous poster was referring to "Leviton" which I do personally highgly recomend you use. Leviton makes some wonderful wall plates and quick port connectors. I personally am looking at eventually running fiber network and luckily Leviton's MOS series of wall plates has fiber modules!
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #5

For the most part I'm only running 2 ethernet CAT5e runs to each room. What you run today may be outdated before you get a chance to use it. 1st floor I will have access from the basement, 2nd floor I have access from knee walls. Addition I will have access from garage & attic.
So I'm running only what I need right now
I have a 24 port ethernet punch down in the basement
Then short patch cables to the hub or switch
I've used almost 500' of cable already

CATV I am home running to the basement
I'll only have a splitter big enough for the TV's I have
I have 3 right now, a 4th smaller TV will be setup in the kitchen
Unused CATV runs will be left "hanging" & labeled

I'll frame out the area where all the wiring is
Then I'll buy a pair of cabinet doors to enclose everything
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #6

I recommend compression connectors.

I like veiwsonics, they make nice splitters, amps, etc.

I would recommend using distribution panels.

Label your coax, it can get very complex with all these wires. You can use 16-way splitters instead of a bunch of 8s.

Home theater...what wires will you use for speakers, about how long distance from amps? Even romex works good for speakers, though, sometimes you want to use stranded because of skin effect.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #7

I am running all the ethernet plugs because I have damn near that many things that are ethernet connected. Computers, access points, media extenders, tvs and dvd players, xbox, and even my refrigerator has an ethernet port. My house is actually fairly small (2 bedroom, around 1500 sq ft, not including the basement), so the amount of wire is probably fine. Most runs are under 50' (since the wire closet is centrally located in the house), no runs exceed 100'. I've been thinking of buying another 1000' box before I start wiring, just to make sure I have enough. I have to get my wire in the house in a very short timeframe, and I have TONS of wire to run. I don't want to run out 3/4 the way through the job.

I am using compression connectors for the coax. The wire is RG6 Quad shield and the connectors are PPX EX6XL connectors (compression fittings).

As far as the speakers go, I am going to have 5.1 ran thru the living room (no longer than 40' to the rear speakers from the plate). I have to have 5.1 because of my cathedral ceilings and the arrangement of my living room. Same for the bedrooms and bar 5.1 surround. For the remote ceiling speakers, the runs inside the house and to the decks won't exceed 70' per run. There is one run that runs from the living room (a wall plate) and goes across the attic thru the living room, a bedroom, the garage, then down the back wall of the garage, then ran underground in conduit 175' to a shed in my back yard (which are outside speakers attached to the shed. We like to have bonfires in the back yard, so I want to have speakers with a volume control in the shed in the back yard by the fire area). The wire is 16ga 2 conductor, rated for in-wall and direct burial applications (although I'm running it in 3/4 conduit out back). So that run is close to 250'.

I'm thinking I'm going to try to get 2 8 port splitters, just because I will probably only use 8 ports to split main cable, and just have the second 8 port one for backup, in case I expand. I am under the impression that the more ports a splitter has, the more signal drop on the other lines.

I was hoping to find a good solution that would work like a patch panel that I could easily change configurations. I know a splitter and putting couplers on cable would work best, just wondering if other people do it differently.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #8

Sounds like a good plan. 16 awg for 250ft seems long.

Yes, with splitters there is a signal drop. Its measured by decibels. You might need to configure the splitters after your done. Make sure you have a circuit ran to your closet for coax amps, etc.

If you dont want panels, mount large piece of plywood on the wall.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #9

Yes there is a dedicated 15a line ran to the closet. I had to because the rack also houses network switches, router, cable modem, and a server. As of now, I think I'll just mount a splitter on the wall, maybe an amplifier before that. Unless I hear some other better idea. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I installed a Blounder Toungue "Apartment Complex" cable amplifier in my attic to feed an 8 port splitter. I think the boost on it is around 15-20db maybe more than that I don't remember. It works great for a 8 port splitter; but its also installed after 2 or 3 splitters up the line with one of them being installed to split the line down to the cable modem in the basement.

Personally i'd say if you ever forsee needing more than 8 connnections at once i'd reccomend getting a bigger splitter rather than trying to install 2 8 port spliters. You might be ok with out an amp so long as this splitter is installed directly on the line as it enters your house, you will just have to play around with it and see how good the signal is coming through. Otherwise amps are not that expensive and can easily be added later.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #11

Ask the cable company about rg/11 quad for your coaxial service.

I use a viewsonics 20 db amp with a 16-way splitter. Works nicely since I already have a poor signal coming in. And thats with rg/11Q.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #12

Ok, give me your opinions on which setup seems better. I've found these two different items and not sure if I'm on the right track or not here, or which one would be better.

SETUP 1:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=HDA-200
-and-
http://www.dlsus.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=181

...OR SETUP 2:
http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=874121
Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsenne View Post
Ok, give me your opinions on which setup seems better. I've found these two different items and not sure if I'm on the right track or not here, or which one would be better.

SETUP 1:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=HDA-200
-and-
http://www.dlsus.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=181

...OR SETUP 2:
http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=874121

That channel vision looks good, but you will not get a super amped signal, the amp accommodates for all the ports losses. Use terminators on unused cable jacks.

Remember that coax has signal drop over long distances.

http://www.net-comber.com/cable-loss.html

Last edited by rgsgww; 02-19-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #14

I'm now retired, but over my working life I have witnessed all sorts of prewiring schemes. Most of the time they end up being abandoned.Technology moved on and what was required 5 years ago is obsolete!
If I were building a new home, I would install conduit (1-1/4"pvc) between zone junction boxes and 1" conduit to 3 gang outlet boxes, where required.
If a cable fails it can be replaced, or if something new comes along, it can be readily installed.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote